Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like shooting 9mm and I have 1 striker fired plastic gun and it's in 9.

Now I am a believer in more stout rounds and for me 38+p is kind of naked bare minimum and I am usually carrying 357, 10mm or .40.

38+p is only on the list because I can slip the gun that fires it in my pocket. Oh and before anyone says it. ... I hit what I aim too.

So all that aside I have a somewhat silly question ..i have located a nice deal on a M&Pc no flipper in .40.

In order to get it I would probably sell a p10c in 9mm.

Now. I already have a .40 I love in my Sig 229. Should I keep the 9mm because in the days of wandering the earth fighting zombies it might be easier to find 9mm in the wasteland or at least it gives me another option should ammo get hard to locate or screw it dump the 9 and get another 40 but in plastic.

To add to my meanderings ... I think before I pass there will be a 10rd mag limit. If I were pressed to 10 rounds I would want as stout a cartridge as I could shoot reliably.
But
That 9 is silly fun to shoot. I can only think it's like the sr22 is to my wife. I am so used to heavier cartridges that the 9 is just a fun gun.

Send me your thoughts!

Oh 1st world problems :)

·
Registered
26,235 Posts
To add to my meanderings ... I think before I pass there will be a 10rd mag limit. If I were pressed to 10 rounds I would want as stout a cartridge as I could shoot reliably.
1911 in 45 ACP using 8+1 running 185 JHP +P

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
black powder shooter 😎
4,076 Posts
i have a couple 9mm handguns, but hold very little ammo other than a couple boxes on the shooting shelf - and no .40 at all
Neither caliber figures into any TEOTWAWKI for me..

now, 45 acp (some would say 45 aarp :ROFLMAO: ) and a range of 38/357 - well, that might have some options!

for me, the fun gun is 22 mag, so i have a pile of that and the required delivery vehicles

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Well... I first need to ask what is the main reason for you considering the M&P compact, for concealed carry or because it's just a great deal?

Shooting .40 S&W in a plastic gun is a much different experience than from an all metal pistol. I have a 4006 and a Glock 22, the G22 has snappier recoil and muzzle flip than the 4006, can't imagine what it would be like in a "truncated" compact.

During the last few ammo droughts, when finding 9mm was like hen's teeth, there was a bounty of .40 S&W to be found, due it's decline in popularity, which I really don't understand. How does a cartridge that was once all the rage with law enforcement, and a solid performer, suddenly go from champ to chump, in what appears to be "herd mentality" ?

If you reload, the .40 S&W is much easier than the tapered case 9mm.

The CZ P10c is an excellent pistol (like most CZ's), I'd have more difficulty getting rid of it for a M&P, regardless of caliber.

Another option...get an Sig x-change kit for your P229 to convert it from .40 SW to 9mm, it's a popular option for a lot of P229 owners.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That p10c is a HOOT to shot and easy to be accurate with

But.. without igniting any caliber wars ... and in my own humble opinion

If zombies were at my back door and a 9mm and a .40 were within arms reach .. I would chose the .40 every time.

The M&P is very close in size to the p10c.... and it's a great deal .. but the 10c is awful fun.

Oh just for giggles I looked right to see what's in arms reach as I sit on the couch playing on the internet ... a .357 and a .40

I reload for the 40 and am set up to load 9mm but it's been so cheap I have just been buying it and haven't loaded any 9mm in over a year.

My carry over the last few years has been a 3" 357 but the Sig has been getting a lot of time lately. No real need for deep concealment in AZ and I don't sweat a few ounces one way or the other

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
At present, I have guns chambered in:
.22 Long
.22 Long Rifle
.22 Magnum
.32 Long
.32-20
.9mm
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
. 44 Special
.44 Magnum
.455 Webley
.45 ACP
.45 Long Colt
.460 Magnum
.500 Magnum
So , I don't see any reason to get rid of any of them. ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At present, I have guns chambered in:
.22 Long
.22 Long Rifle
.22 Magnum
.32 Long
.32-20
.9mm
.38 S&W
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
. 44 Special
.44 Magnum
.455 Webley
.45 ACP
.45 Long Colt
.460 Magnum
.500 Magnum
So , I don't see any reason to get rid of any of them. ;)
Oh man .. and when you are wandering the wasteland and searching the bodies of the fallen ... you my friend are most certainly going to find something you can use!!! 😁

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Keep the 9mm. All handgun cartridges are about equally bad at stopping bad guys, and 9mm is almost as ubiquitous as .22LR, so keep it.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,845 Posts
I have handguns in:

.22 lr
.22 magnum
.25 ACP
.38 Special
9mm
.357 magnum
.40 S&W
10mm
.44-40
.45 ACP
.45 Colt
.44 magnum
.454 Casull

I can always find some ammo to shoot.

·
Premium Member
13,691 Posts
The M&P 40C is nice, but not that much nicer than your Sig P229 in .40S&W.

I have CZ pistols (SP01 and CZ75), and they are more precise than most available on the market today. I'd be hard pressed to part with it for a marginal change.

Note that the popularity of .40S&W is dropping like a rock (along with prices), while demand for 9mm remains strong.

I think it would be a mistake to give up the P10C.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you are not strapped for cash, keep what you have and buy the new one you think you want. That way if you wind up not loving the new one you won't have given up one that you have enjoyed. Easy Peasy. If you are not strapped for cash, that is.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That is exactly what I did. Eventually one will go.

Weirdness maybe but I find it difficult to keep things I can't justify. Even when I made a nice paycheck the poor guy that lives in my head would yell at me about having to much stuff I couldn't justify.

Now ... being an imaginative sort... I can stretch "justified" pretty wide! :)

Sound advice Shootergranny!!
So for now the cz stays and a M&P in .40 is inbound! Eventually one will shine and the other can go. I dont need two plastic guns for sure!

·
Registered
21,328 Posts
For S&W revolvers, I always limited my self to 125 gr .38Spl.+P/ 158 gr. 357 Mag. I bought a Ruger LC9s 9mm. last year, which is small and light weight, 17 ozs.. I use WWB 147 gr. 9mm. ammo, which is good, powerful, load to shoot. It is a handful to shoot, in such a light weight pistol! I've also got plenty of .22LR from 2008. That's all that I need!!!! Bob

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Oh man .. and when you are wandering the wasteland and searching the bodies of the fallen ... you my friend are most certainly going to find something you can use!!! 😁
If I have to strip bodies of their ammo, I will take their guns also.
But, in reality, if I run out of 45 ACP, shame on me!

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
35,608 Posts
The calibers to keep here:

.38 Special. 1000 + rounds.
.357 Magnum. 1000 + rounds.
9mm. 1000 + rounds.
All of the above is a mix of FMJ, RN, SWC and HP.

That is in pistols although we do like others such as .45 ACP, .45 Colt and .40 perhaps 2000 rounds between all three. But those first three are pretty much what we standardized on for main calibers to stock up on since both of us are wheel gun fans so the .38 and .357 are a favorite.

Rifles:

5.56 mm. Too many to count or guess at, which gives an idea, I would say probably 3000 +.
7.62 x 39 mm. 1000 + rounds.
.30-06. Maybe 750 +.
.45-70, being his favorite centerfire rifle 500 +.
Again a mix of FMJ and HP and SP but his preferred load for .45-70 is the old 405 grain lead bullets that have been around and working well since 1873.

We bought a Mossberg 590 years ago and he picked up 2 metal ammo style cans of Federal 2.75" 00 buckshot, total was 350. We both fired about 100 apiece to get used to the handling, recoil, etc. I leave that weapon mainly for him because with my short arms I have to angle the thing up to properly pump without short stroking, but after Ferguson kept burning we did get another 350 rounds of the same Federal 2.75" 00 buckshot, so count it as 500 rounds of buckshot. Try and find 12 gauge 2.75" buckshot now of any type almost.

Most of what we bought was months after the fact, Parkland and everybody going nuts, wait a few months and buy up a few cases of 5.56 and a few dozen 20 round magazines.

Reactions: Boriqua
1 - 20 of 22 Posts