Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the best walk yesterday evening about an hour before dark. I holstered the Bisley 45 and picked up the 357 carbine and wandered across to the west, walking silently on damp grass. As I neared the old collapsed homestead, I saw a big bodied buck standing just inside the tree line, watching north where most of my volunteer rye field is. I froze and watched him for several minutes before he happened to look my way. Then he moved to one side then the other, trying to see me better or scent me. Finally, he decided not to wait anymore and blew and trotted back into the woods.

When he blew, two more deer on the opposite side of the little rye field answered and took off west. They hadn't spotted me and weren't really spooked; they were just reacting to the buck's warning.

I continued on west skirting the trees. As I neared a large pile of logs, two more deer walked slowly passed the pile, heading south to the tree line. They weren't disturbed at all and never did see me. They seemed young, and I think one of them may have still had spots. Once they were gone, I continued west and saw a flag as a deer jumped the fence to my neighbor's rye field. That one had seen me before I saw him.

When I was a bit past the logs, a skunk started heading my way. I hissed, and he immediately stopped and raised his tail. I hissed again and moved from side to side. I didn't want to make any large movements because I was hoping to see more deer, but I sure didn't want to wind up sprayed. After a few moments, he turned north for a few steps, but then either his tiny brain forgot why he'd turned or he wanted to be somewhere behind me no matter what. He turned again and started straight down the path toward me. The rifle barked, and he dropped without a twitch. (168 grain Keith over 14.0 of 2400, clocking about 1750 out of the carbine, range 10 yards)

On to the neighbor's fence, I turned south down my driving lane. I started up the little rise in the middle of my property, and saw a deer butt near the fence. I froze, and in a little while, a doe turned and stretched her neck, scratching herself against a young tree that's trying to become part of the fence. I probably watched her for three minutes before I felt a very light breeze against the side of my neck. Then I felt it start to shift around me. By the time it was on the back of my neck, she had seen me. She was watching intently, stretching this way and that to get a better look. Then she got my scent, blew, and trotted off into the woods.

As I topped the little rise to the point where the doe had been, I saw two more feeding on my neighbor's rye. I watched them for a while, then started walking again. When I moved, yet another head rose from the rye. This one was about halfway out into the field, and the two I'd been watching were feeding toward it. I wasn't scaring them, so I decided to just gently move on and see if they would stay at their dinner. They did.

10 deer! The best walk ever!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Taking a walk like that is one of lifes simple pleasures and seeing so many deer makes it even better.I got a nice picture in my mind from reading that. Sending ole stinky to skunk heaven kind of breaks up the peaceful walk a little but hey when it comes to skunks and getting sprayed. Its you or me skunk.hehehe

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. XTM, that was the first walk with my karma holster you sent me. I think it's lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts