Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering about this Avitar for this forum section. This is a great self defense video to watch over and over to see the actions taken.

My question is: What is the origin and backgraound of the clip? Is it from a movie or is it real?

If it's from a movie the stunt guys really get a lot of muzzle flash in the face!

Just curious!
Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey LeMat,

Great clip. Since I didn't know the origin it seemed to be a great MO for showing to not hesitate or telegraph your move in that type of situation to stay alive.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

·
Registered
19,915 Posts
I don't see it as a good move for the shooter. He drew with the "homie" having his gun pointed right at him!!!! :eek: This might be more believeable if he had dodged away to the left, out of where the gun was pointed. At the same time making his draw, to avoid being shot. It does look good.....in the movies, but "Homie" could have plugged him first, in the real life situation.

Everything works the way it should.....in the movies. It does look pretty cool though. :D Bob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Actually, he sweeps the perps gun out of the way immediately before he draws and shoots.

Both shots from retention done so that the perp could not do the same to him as well as allowing him to get shots off as quickly as possible given the distance. Tom did this as well as anyone could and used "real world" technique instead of hollywierd ninja crap.

This is a very good example of things going right.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree with LeMat on this, with all due respect to Bob K. But the Avitar clip only... disregard the movie as to how Tom got himself into the situation with a gun pointed at his head.

In real world... if 2 perps jumped you... this is exactly the only way out for Tom.

He did sweep the gun, while moving his body and obtaining the gun and shooting from hip at #1 threat. Then did not hesitate to advance on #2 threat guy that is in way over his head, could not react (exactly what you want to change the situation in your favor) and is taken out with diligent forward advance.

I think if you take the Avitar clip only, it is classic self defence in situation like that.

If I needed to do that I hope I could do as well.

Just my opinion!

Dave

·
Registered
19,915 Posts
While he did sweep away the gun, if the 'homie' had chosen to shoot before he reacted.......it would be a different story. (In real life....anyhoo! :roll: ) All, he had to do was shoot BEFORE he was close to our hero. But, he didn't, and everything went down well. You can always reshoot a scene in the movies....but not in real life.

The 'homie' was at least 10' away, when he started walking toward our hero. Not many people have a 10', or even 5', reach!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bob,

You make a good point about the distance Homie was away at first. I was thinking about that after I posted last on it. That was Homie's worst life mistake. If Homie was smarter he would have not gotten within reach of Tom.

That mistake was Tom's only hope to have the option to turn the advantage in his favor. Tom was in a very good postion to act first, his hands were up and his left was in good postiion to sweep the gun from Homie's hand with a single motion. I guess in the movies they can create the best case scenario for the hero.

I think it's a good clip from which to learn. I get out of it to, in life and death situations do not hesitate to take the advantage and do not telegraph your actions with speak or jesters. I think if you gape that one split second you're dead, because it is a tick tack situation, each action sparks a counter action, so here the entire scene is one complete postitive action, where Tom lives to walk away.

Of course I just Opine here.

Good discussion tho,

Dave

·
Registered
19,915 Posts
Exactly right.... if I were the 'homie' I would have turned and fired......and he would be dead. 'Course .......you need to watch the entire clip...not just the avatar. not being the 'homie' type myself....... maybe, he just wanted to talk to our hero, and return his briefcase!!!!! :lol: :roll: Bob

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
I thought 'homie' was going back to steal his wallet..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! Carl, that's the point for real life. Forget the movie. I change the plot here.

For intance: You're a person that is responsible and are regestered CCW carrier, and you get jumped by Homie and his bud...

He puts his gun in your face screams "GIVE ME YOUR WALLET ***** ****** OR I'LL BLOW YOUR ****** ****** HEAD OFF ***** ******".

At this point hes hasn't shot you yet so you have one chance to get it right.

Do you try to talk your way out? Or ensure your way out?

In this case, this is the perfect example to prepare yourself to execute, in given situation, to survive. By the way, I hope I would never be in this position, buy the chances are getting greater for it to happen.

Anyway, It hought it was good discussion and analysis. I'm going to enrole in class in a couple months and get my carry permit while I can. And this type of situation needs to be evaluated and correct action/ reaction needs to be predetermined. And I put this all in context of strongly feeling my life would be in danger in this case.

Dave

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The thing about a situation like this is that there is no one way to get through it.

They can change in a heartbeat and being able to adapt to that change is crucial.

The worst thing one can do is become static in their training and only learn one way to react.

The last thing you want to think is "Wait a minute, that's not what my instructor said would happen".

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
photohause said:
I'm kinda surprised it is used here since it is copy wright material....
You are correct and I have removed it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I love this place... everyone looking out for one another's best interests. Simply amazing, and commendable, especially in today's world!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry I brought it up! :oops:

"It's not my fault" perkgfn

I wonder why it's not a copywright problem on youtube and it would have been here.

Ah... ;) ....I may have saved it for my viewing pleasure at home. Maybe not.

Anyway, sorry it's gone, but we must remain legal, for the good of our rights and to uphold our constitutional values.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts