Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose that every part of these United States has a group of folks that choose to relive another era. Here in Maine, in my neck of the woods...there is a group known as the Ancient Ones. Pretty much they focus on the pre-1840 era's. They do a few 'Vous each year, gather and shoot socially, hold winter events, and sponsor a pretty nice gun show once a year. I've met up with a few members over the years, been to a event or two...and all I can say is that they are some of the nicer folks you could want to spend some time with.

Seriously thinkin' of taking the plunge and becoming a full-fledged member. Most likely I will attend their May Rondevous and join in the fun....

Anyone else have a similiar group of folks re-enacting the past ~ in their neck of the woods?

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I think it's more properly known and as the "Ancient and Horrible Ones"..... and as such Giz I'm sure you'll fit right in.... I did however let my membership lapse because they were too PC for me..... One word of caution...... Don't take your lovely wife Julie... she won't qualify...... :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it did have that reputation once. And with every group there are various clicks within... ;) Some of the folks that were hardcore could be considered over the top ~ but there is where you are right....I'll fit right in... :mrgreen: I actually have 3 friends that are members and a few others that I know belong. So, what the hell....gonna give it a go! What's the worse that could happen, I show up and find out that DW is their fearless leader? :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
I poked around a local CAS bunch a number of years ago and after a couple looks, decided the _______ outnumbered the nice folks and never looked back. A bunch of the head honchos of the bunch just wanted to sell Colt SAAs to the 'newbies'

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nothing real close. But there is a group of "Mountain Men" over in Bend. About 2 hours away in the Cascades. Saw a couple of PBS specials on them. Flint napping, leather working, even some after the indians that used spears and bows.

In the valley you mostly get Civil War people. My best friends belong to the Confederates. Artillery unit. Strange thing, all the artillery untis are from the South. they have to switch uniforms once in awhile to even up the sides and make sure the North has some batteries. Must be a Southern thing about big bangs. :D

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz we are not the ancient one's. We my friend are your last hope for freedom. We are the founding fathers of your nation. We wrote your constitution, we fought and died in many wars for your freedom. Do not trivialize those who have past before you. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made the plunge and will be joining up with them next month. Little rough around the edges, but never boring crowd. Expect to be out of character with this crowd. Never learned a thing while my mouth was moving, expect I'm going to be the quietest one there ;)

giz

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz I have no trouble keeping my mouth shut. That is until I start drinking longarms wine, then my mouth goes into overdrive. :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck C,

Never needed the longarms to get goin' into yap overdrive ;)

Time for me to go, listen, and learn....maybe I'll get to do a little do, too! Sounds like a good time, and hey ~ I even has the wife's permission :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Your wife gonna let you grow a beard ?You gotta let your hair and beard get a little wild to look like a real mountain man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts