Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 59 hammer and strut a few weeks back. I finally got it to the grinder to shorten the spring strut, then rounded the end with a file to a good copy of the original. After much wrangling, got it back together, and all feels good. Checked with a magazine of snap caps, and single action seems the same, a long creep then a crisp hammer drop; double action also seems the same - a long steady pull with no stacking then "snap". Safety decocker works the same, as does the magazine safety, so nothing has changed. Going to the indoor range next weekend to check it out. Always my best shooting 9mm, now I may like it even better.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I would never modify a home defense or CCW gun I carry.
Or collectible ANIB or any guns that have historic value.
But range and plinker guns, why not?
Besides the picture it looks like a re-imported 6906 that had a rough time overseas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to my indoor range yesterday and put 100 rounds of CCI 115gr hardball through it. No failures to feed, eject, and fire, both in DA and SA. Trigger pull felt the same as before. The history of the gun is that it was a local LEO detective's EDC, and the hardshell holster wear shows. Carried a lot, fired very little. At home, it lives in my bedroom lockbox, and I like the advantage of leaving it loaded, with safety on and hammer down. I can pick it up with either hand, swipe off the safety and cock with the same hand in one motion, rather than the long DA pull to start.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
“...swipe off the safety and cock with the same hand in one motion, rather than the long DA pull to start.”

I wouldn’t want my thumb to slip and the hammer to fall when I’m not ready to fire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've shot single actions for many years, cowboy guns, 1911's, and other S&W 3rd gens. Its just habits I've learned that work for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts