Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings friends. Last summer I purchased this Model 66-5, Ser. CDL++++, August 1999
near as I can figure. A good shooting gun, with a nice round butt hiding under those Uncle MIkes.
Don't know how or why, but a smokín deal at $250. I almost broke my hand reaching for my wallet!?!

The first picture:;:

When I met BoB ,a gunsmith ,his company name; Showgun
We discussed the possibility of cutting and crowning the barrel.

Back on August 8th. I handed him the gun and off we went.
Bobs father broke his hip shortly after and months went by......................................

In January we hooked up and I paid him and took possession of this.

I had asked for a custom front sight, something patridge -like. WoW was I surprised.

I shot it, cleaned it and gave it back to him.

This time we communicated, and got it right. I gave him an old 686 barrel and he cut the front sight off of it. Slab sided the barrel and silver soldered the front sight into the tou rib, which he also pinned in place.

9 months and $375. later........................................

SO, here it is in all its glory . My new 66-5 3" Stainless Combat magnum.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Allen-Frame, you made the right choice! I was no fan of the original barrel. The current configuration looks so much better IMO. Enjoy that one!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, very nice set up.
I know Bob well. I've bought several Diamondbacks from him, but never knew, or bothered to ask, that he was in the gunsmithing business.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I like it. I would have someone engrave the caliber on the barrel and maybe get his symbol or trade mark on the opposite side. Very nice. James

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Anything going for $250 around here will burn your hand when you pick it up.

Congrats on great deal! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I love the way it turned out in the end. The slab-sided barrel is nice! ;) Though most here would disagree wirh me, a nice set of Combat Grips would complete the project. Afterall.....it is a Combat Magnum! (Everybody here seems to like Tyler-T's.) :roll: Oh well! :lol: Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts