Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20 or more years ago I had my first experiences with center fire pistol's, namely the .45 ACP and the 9mm. The .45 I first shot was a Star 1911 type gun, basic fixed sight/parkerized no frills gun. It belonged to a friend, and being a big bore pistol virgin I found I couldn't hit much of anything with it. It would be years before I tried another .45 ACP, back then you had to spend a lot on the gun and then spend a lot more- sometimes more than the original cost of the gun-getting it all tight and smooth and accurate. The idea didn't do much for me. To this day I still find the .45 ACP a bit akward for my mind, even though I own a Glock 21 which I can shoot fairly well.
Then the trend in M&P sidearms became the semi auto pistol, and the 9mm was ruled the King. This I didn't quite get-the previous King was the L frame .357 platform, within just a few years it seemed that most Police agencies switched first from the older K and N frames to the new 686 or 586 or their fixed sight versions, and then within just a few more years they began to adopt the semi auto pistol in 9mm. Lighter bullet, travelling slower and hitting with less energy, no comprende! I held tight to my .357 and it would be years before I even tried a 9mm. Today I own a couple of them, and I have fun with them, but its never been in serious contention for me as a life protector or any other sort of first choice item.
Enter the .40 S&W. Groan, another one of those pistols? is what I thought? Only with the slightest of glimpse did I pay attention to the 10mm hype and the introduction of the .40 soon after.
I don't recall where I first began to read about the velocities of factory ammo, or the muzzle energy the HPs delivered (on paper). But when I did, it struck me that something that actually started resembling the .357 in performance was at hand. That and the cops I knew began telling me how great a caliber it was, fun and accurate as they come. Then I was given the occasional opportunity to try one out for myself. And for the first time this die hard revolver nut was hooked on a semi auto combat pistol and cartridge. A few years ago I actually bought my own-my first ever semi auto center fire pistol-a CZ40P. I still have it, but it turns out there are issues with those guns, feed problems/jams. They are very finicky with anything besides ball ammo as it turns out. I was never able to make mine a gun I'd bet my life on, and today it sits in the vault mostly. But the caliber, wow! According to the FBI it is just behind the .357 in the best 1 shot stop contest. I believe it is in a close 2nd place, if I am not mistaken.
Now, my biggest complaint about semi auto pistols is the triggers. In short, I think they are terrible, full of creep and hard to get smoothed out. Unless you're talking more expensive guns, which I am not. I am talking about basic service M&P type guns. Even some of the more expensive guns I have tried have terrible triggers.
Then, this new plastic thing came out, called a Glock. Hahaha, I thought, a 2/3rds plastic gun? I don't think so. I stubbornly hung on to that for a few years, and then the inevitable happened, someone I know handed me his 17 and a full box of 50 one day at the range. WOW! And I've been hooked since. A trigger I can do, a gun I can shoot well. Today I own 2 of them, a 21 and a 22. As for the .40 S&W, I think it is the best pistol cartridge there is, and though its still 3 shots or less for us civillians, I am now using a Glock as my main self defense gun. I like to think of it as my small contribution to homeland security. I often hear the .40 S&W ridiculed and I don't get why. I hear the 10mm is better, but everything I ever heard about them ended up talking about the problems they have. The .40 in general doesn't seem to have many, though I acknowledge that a few Glock .40s were KaBooming because of chamber problems. But I don't think too many, and all runs contain defective guns no matter what factory they came out of.
Anyhow, if you knew me, you'd understand how amazing it is for me to say this. That I like a semi auto pistol, AND the cartridge it shoots, I mean. I am actually surprised to see the 45 ACP surge (by LEOs) of today, because the .40 S&W is ballistically a better cartridge IMO. I guess the moral is you can even teach a stubborn 'ol dog new tricks.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
The Forty! thepuke

I even went through the trouble to program the little puke guy for that! And f.t. wanted it back. :D

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We all wanted him back Dave.
I am used to this response, but I don't get it. What don't you like about the .40?

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
For a self defense gun they are OK. But I shoot competition and they have too much recoil for fast shots.

I have had a few and didn't like the cal. at all.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Same here, had two, both glops, and just didn't do anythin better than my 9MM or .45ACP's. So off they went, and no regrets either. I have shot a 4006, and few 1911's in that caliber, and still no joy. Never saw a need for it anyway.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've nothing against the .40 S&W, it's just that it seems a solution in search of a problem. I'm not much for collected statistics on which round is better than another, and tend to tailor my use around my needs. Having carried a Commander for several years, I am still a fan of the .45ACP but these days I generally carry a 9mm. Very generally speaking, a 9mm pistol usually suits me better in both size and recoil effects than does a larger caliber. I'm a whole lot more concerned with speed and accuracy than I am the relatively minor differences in effect between the major calibers, and for that reason all of my carry guns have become, over the years, either .38 Specials or 9mm. Age and arthritis are a factor there too. Right now I've got a 3914 in my pocket, and am quite comfortable with my ability to use it.

Still...all that said, I did acquire a Glock 36 a few weeks back and so far I am quite impressed with it. Accurate and easy to conceal. I don't mind the 6 round capacity, and having done quite a but of shooting with the G19, am already used to a Glock trigger.

If only Glocks were as forgiving of unconventional carry as a 3900 Smith....

David

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The recoil from the 40 S&W all depends on the pistol. I call the 40S&W the 10 lite. I have some compact glocks in .40 and they have more felt recoil than 3rd gen S&W's. One of my favorite carry pistols is a 3rd gen 4043. The recoil from the 4043 feels like a 9mm. It has no more felt recoil than a 9mm. It does have a little more muzzle flip. Nothing to slow you down with follow up shots. That just the nature of the .40S&W. The 4043 has been reworked with a new barrel, springs, every moving part slicked up,and it's a great shooter. Don't sell the 40S&W short it's a nice round. With the rite pistol you can make follow up shots just as fast as any 9mm. It all depends on the pistol.
Jim

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went through a divorce a few years ago and cut a few guns...the 40s and 9s were out the door...

I've owned...G22s(2), G22C, G24, G24C and a P99 all in .40 S&W. All are gone. I don't own a single .40 and have no intention of buying one (unless it was cheap enough to turn around and make money on the sale).

Too snappy for my liking.

I also dumped all my 9mms...G17s(3), G34, CZ-75B, Hi-Powers (3), Deawoo DP51, Sig 226, Beretta 92FS etc...just didn't enjoy them like I do revolvers.

Kept my .45 ACPs...and my .380s. I reload for both of these calibers.

The .40 was my first semi-auto caliber when I began buying handguns.

Bob

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
vonfatman said:
I went through a divorce a few years ago and cut a few guns...the 40s and 9s were out the door...

I've owned...G22s(2), G22C, G24, G24C and a P99 all in .40 S&W. All are gone. I don't own a single .40 and have no intention of buying one (unless it was cheap enough to turn around and make money on the sale).

Too snappy for my liking.

I also dumped all my 9mms...G17s(3), G34, CZ-75B, Hi-Powers (3), Deawoo DP51, Sig 226, Beretta 92FS etc...just didn't enjoy them like I do revolvers.

Kept my .45 ACPs...and my .380s. I reload for both of these calibers.

The .40 was my first semi-auto caliber when I began buying handguns.

Bob
Bob, Maybe we should start our own thread about .380's, I don't reload them yet, but do enjoy shooting them!

Leighton

G

·
0 Posts
The biggest plus I see about the .40 is that they still have ammo for it in stock, everywhere :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, if you shoot the 10mm in revolvers the .40 is a wonderful caliber. Kinda like the .357 and .38. :D

In a semi-auto, I have to go with Geoff on much of what he says. I've seen the Box O' Truth style reports and the Ballistic gel tests of the 9mm, .40, and .45 in the same gel...Truth be told ~ there's not much difference in penetration, path, or wound channel.

That said, I no longer own any .40's...and down to just 2 9mm's. Got a pile of .45 ACP's...But I carry one of my 9mm's, a CZ75B that I would trust my and your life to....

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
I used to own a .40 Sigma. I liked it actually, even though it is considered a "lesser" gun in some people's eyes. It went down the road in order to finance purchase of a customized 3 inch 65 for carry. I don't regret that, but now I have 600 rounds or reloads I didn't want to sell with the gun. I am absolutely positive those reloads, sitting in the cabinet, will lure me in to buying another 40 pistol. I should just try to sell them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts