Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All that glitters is not gold..or is it? I recently acquired this N frame in 357 and have to say...the 50s were about the peak at S&W. What can't be seen is the feel of this handgun.The balance..the bank vault closure of the cylinder..and oh...the trigger. Im a big fan of red ramp/white outline sights, Target triggers and hammers..and target presentation stocks, all wrapped up in a rich, deep blue, 5 screw N frame snubby. Not to mention that superb box. BIG thanks to Rodney for parting with this, and I will keep it near and dear.

I may even shoot it...cuz thats what guns are for...;)

·
Registered
30,183 Posts
That sure is a beauty! Will be looking forward to the range report.;)

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m figuring this revolver was made around 1955..,so what did it cost back then? I know the price of 1 oz of gold was $35..(if still rather have the revolver) but I can’t seem to find what a 357 Magnum S&W Revolver sold for back then. $125? Just a guess..

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
They were under $100. I believe somewhere around $80. I don't have a catalog but I saw a page from the 1950/53 catalog on Pinterest. Can't quite make the figures legible when enlarged but there were only 2 digits before the period.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imagine that. Compared to gold...the revolver is less expensive now....one gold Double Eagle to purchase it.....matter of fact...less than half price! (would take >two Double Eagles in 1955). Then again...in 1955 it was NEW...not all beat up and used...:)

What a bargain. Thanks Guy.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Well, you may have been right...or closer than I was. I found the .44 Magnum announcement poster over at S&W. It debuted at $140 in 1956, about 1/2 the median monthly income. I'm pretty sure the .357 would have been closer to that number than what I thought I discerned from a blurry picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts