Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, It's one of my favorite S&W revolvers. I mostly like the older 4 and 5 screws (Model 19, pre-27, 27, 27-1).

The 1973 TR still is one of my favorites: It has a rare frame, it has rare stocks, most include a matching Bowie knife, and it is a perfect .357 revolver shooter. Pictures:

Here are two shown in the wood boxes with the Bowie knife, with both together, and the two knives.

P/S My range is closed down although gun stores are open.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
Hey 1911,

What a great PAIR!!

Good for you!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
Fantastic couple of revolvers! Thanks for sharing the pics.:cool:

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I saw one of those sets with display case & Knife for $1195.99, which probably isn't far from what they go for. Only thing is, I saw it back in 2012

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Don't have to convince me. I think the TR Commemorative is the BEST model 19 ever made..and I don't use the best word often.Considering their giveaway pricing a real bargain in the gun world. I recently bought a "shooter" TR because the box and knife were missing. Fools...:) ( The TR Commemorative is also C&R friendly!!)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The TR Commemorative frame is cut at the trigger guard to allow easier access to the trigger (as in a gloved hand) The S&W Presentation grips are unique as well to a K frame. Adjustable sights (red ramp,white outline)...Target hammer,Target trigger, recessed cylinder and pinned barrel. It really is the K frame of K frames. (in my humble opinion..). And..to think is is JUST a "lowly" Commemorative to boot. :)

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How is it different from a standard Model 19 with a 4” barrel? What am I missing?
Hey Kevin, and a good question. It is basically a Model 19 4" K-frame revolver. It shoots the same. It just has a better finish and a fancy box. :D I have a few Model 27's. They shoot the same as the Model 28 Highway Patrolman but with a nicer finish. :)

The TR's were all made in 1973. I have a lot of rounds in an older blue 4-screw Model 19 4" which is lettered to 5-8-1959. It has a box. Shoots great!

I also found a nickel 4-screw Model 19 4" which was shipped Feb., 1960 (no box). It shoots great.

BTW, it is from many years of trading. My first 19-3 4" was $150. I had a 1974 pinned S&W 19-4 2 1/2" for a long time. I am still looking for a nice pre-19 (a .357 Combat Magnum).

It's a conspiracy by the S&W factory to make us want more guns than we need (p/s don't mention this to my wife).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The trigger guard is thinner forward of the trigger? Like Bill Jordan preferred on his Model 19? Interesting. I don’t need the knife or the stocks. I have my own knife and prefer antler Magnas and grip adapters.

Can you post a photo of the guard?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trigger guard is thinner forward of the trigger?
Can you post a photo of the guard?
It's not really 'forward of the trigger'. It's more like 'at the trigger and behind'. As was said above, it was for a Texas Ranger that worked out in the field on a cold day. He may be wearing gloves. It would be easier to get the gloved finger in the guard and pull the trigger. He would be right-handed since it's a right side cut.

I have a picture of the revolver with no stocks.

Another thing. They made more TR frames than revolvers. S&W did use some leftover frames on the standard 19-3. Those will bring a premium price. I've seen two.

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I just snagged another one off of GB, as I forget to check on availability...until reminded about them.

With shipping..to my door (in the commiewealth of Ma even..!!) $775. Sure do love my C&R FFL.

Yes, thank you very much! I'm spending my conehead virus money wisely..;)

Another great thing about these "collectible" TR model 19s is most examples have not been shot much, if at all, so it's just like buying a brand new, 50 year old gun!

That nobody wants....cuz it's one of those silly worthless ole "Commemoratives" that ain't wurth chit!

I say let them all fight over the other Combat Magnums....paying thousands for 2.5" guns.. and more.....

I'll buy every one of these I can find under $1k. I can easily deal with 1.5" more barrel,and actually prefer longer tubes...cuz I'm gonna chute them..:)

I get excited SO easily...

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for this thread. I just snagged another one off of GB, as I forget to check on availability...until reminded about them.

With shipping..to my door (in the commiewealth of Ma even..!!) $775. Sure do love my C&R FFL.
Great find. You got it at 2016 prices.

The 4th Edition of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (SCSW) had it at $750 with a bump of 10% for the early ones. We know those estimates of value are conservative.

Please post a picture.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
^ Just "won" it..so payment off tomorrow and probably will be next week when it lands here. Only two states away so should not be long. Nobody bidding against me..my kind of auction..;)

·
Premium Member
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...Nobody bidding against me..my kind of auction..;)
I wish I had seen it. :D

Just saying. I have seen the individual knifes (sold separably) in several SWCA conventions. They wanted $150. It's really a nice blade with nice stocks. Mine:

The wooden presentation box is old-tech hand made with the Texas Ranger emblem. The value is at least $150.

So, you got a nice well made pinned and recessed .357 Combat Magnum revolver for $475? It may have been fired 100 rounds or less?

Congratulations!

Reactions: WendyZXZ
1 - 20 of 20 Posts