Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there got the barrel diameter for the old 45 schofield (45 s&w)? I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think there's some confusion here, which is not uncommon: the bore diameter is the distance between the lands as opposed to the distance between the bottom of the grooves which is the groove diameter. A shotgun is simpler, there's only a bore diameter. But not in a rifled barrel which has two diameters bore and groove.

If the bore diameter was .454" there would be zero engagement with a .454" bullet and a gap with a .452" bullet, therefore imparting no spin to the bullet in either case. You both mean .454" is the groove diameter which is correct for the Schofield barrel with an actual bore diameter of ~.447".

https://www.google.com/search?q=barrel+bore+diameter&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjr8rWlmpbmAhULMawKHR8DCB0QsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1139&bih=767&dpr=1.13

·
Registered
674 Posts
Anyone out there got the barrel diameter for the old 45 schofield (45 s&w)? I can't find it anywhere.
It's "45 S&W Schofield" or just "45 Schofield". The .45 S&W is an entirely different cartridge that never made it to commercial production; actually a rimmed version of the 45 ACP designed for revolvers in the Army Trials of 1905, well before the 45 AR was introduced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts