Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Taran tactical base pad hitting ejector

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Catescdc8 
#1 ·
Hi, I installed a Taran tactical base pad about 3 months ago on my Shield 9 and I just noticed the other day my gun was making a rattling noise with my safety off so I field stripped it and I noticed my ejector wiggles back and forth a little. I put a magazine in it with my Taran tactical base plate installed and I noticed the bullet is actually making contact with my ejector. I tried this out on my other OEM magazines from factory and they do not touch the ejector. Has anyone else had this problem, is it common or am I just having a bad experience with mine? I also seen a video saying that if you remove the sleeve from the OEM 8 round magazines if will actually contact the ejector too. One more thing I forgot to add is that the Taran tactical base pad is able to be pushed up slightly and that's when it allows the bullet to make contact with the ejector, is there anyway to fix this? Thank you and God bless! God loves you and have a good day!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with Taran Tactical baseplates, but I would contact them with your concerns. They are likely to know if this is normal or not. Best of luck finding an answer

#3 ·
One thing I'm noticing with aftermarket mags and that is the build quality is lacking. Had to fix my buddy's magazines for his black gun as the feed lips were too tight and causing feeding issues. Little vice grip work cured that issue.

#4 ·
I purchased a completed S&W Shield Mag from Taran Tactical with the base pad pre-installed. With my Shield 2.0 PC I've had zero issues and nothing is contacting the ejector. Taran is using an OEM S&W Shield Magazine, the OEM mag spring, and with their extension pad it holds 10rds.

In the package from Taran were instructions to do a variety of Kung-fu panda stuff with the Magazine before using it in order to ensure the spring was seated properly. This included holding the Magazine in one hand while firmly hitting it against the other, and when I did so, I heard the spring snap into place. Then, as per the instructions, I had to fill the mag half way and let it sit overnight... then fill it completely and also let that sit overnight. Once complete, I put 200 rds of various ammo through it and it's been flawless so far.

There was also a note about how their screw on the base pad has been tightened by a specific amount. Perhaps you've tightened yours too much?

Fluid Cosmetics Liquid Material property Eyelash

With my unmodified mags, and with my Taran mag, when I don't have a round chambered, if I press on the bottom of the Magazine, it will contact the ejector. If I do have a round chambered, it can not.

Notice the blemish on my ejector, it's taken a hard hit on the corner of something. No issues though.

Brown Rectangle Wood Material property Font

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

In both images, notice the gap between the mag and the handle. If a round is chambered, I can not press the mag up more to close the gap and with no round chambered, I can. On my Shield 2.0 PC, that gap is the difference between the lip of the mag touching the ejector or not.

#5 ·
I purchased a completed S&W Shield Mag from Taran Tactical with the base pad pre-installed. With my Shield 2.0 PC I've had zero issues and nothing is contacting the ejector. Taran is using an OEM S&W Shield Magazine, the OEM mag spring, and with their extension pad it holds 10rds.

In the package from Taran were instructions to do a variety of Kung-fu panda stuff with the Magazine before using it in order to ensure the spring was seated properly. This included holding the Magazine in one hand while firmly hitting it against the other, and when I did so, I heard the spring snap into place. Then, as per the instructions, I had to fill the mag half way and let it sit overnight... then fill it completely and also let that sit overnight. Once complete, I put 200 rds of various ammo through it and it's been flawless so far.

There was also a note about how their screw on the base pad has been tightened by a specific amount. Perhaps you've tightened yours too much?

View attachment 540743

With my unmodified mags, and with my Taran mag, when I don't have a round chambered, if I press on the bottom of the Magazine, it will contact the ejector. If I do have a round chambered, it can not.

Notice the blemish on my ejector, it's taken a hard hit on the corner of something. No issues though.

View attachment 540744
View attachment 540745

In both images, notice the gap between the mag and the handle. If a round is chambered, I can not press the mag up more to close the gap and with no round chambered, I can. On my Shield 2.0 PC, that gap is the difference between the lip of the mag touching the ejector or not.
Thank you so much! I will double check everything!

#6 ·
What is the benefit of using these aftermarket parts? To me the gun is 1, meant to be small, 2, meant to be reliable. Adding aftermarket non-OEM parts that make it bigger and less reliable are ones that I would cross off my list.

Reactions: Rule3
#14 ·
Or get a gun that is actually built for a grown man's hands and doesn't have to have such micro machinery all jammed together because it's so tiny.

People think they need a gun the size of a tick tack but then want 15+1 capacity. :D. Those things seem to be at odds!

Reactions: Rule3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.