Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here any experience with good quality tang sights? I have used marbles in the past but they moved their operations to china. I refuse to put Chinese parts on my Marlins.

G

·
0 Posts
Had a few different kinds. The Pedersoli sights are pretty nice if you want a true target sight. The Lyman sights work great on a few of my guns. Truthfully, I think I know why you see so many on older guns...Older eyes !!! :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
CP,

Marble Arms Company is a different company than Marbles Outlet.

http://www.marblearms.com/history.html

You are correct in that Marbles Outlet is importing some of their knives and axes.

About Marbles Outlet Store

Marble' s Outlet Store is located in Gladstone, MI, and offers a full line of Marble's products, including many unique knives not often found elsewhere. We are constantly upgrading and changing our website with the latest offerings of new specialty and limited production knives.

Marble's is a registered trademark of Marble's®. Marble's Outlet Store
is not affiliated with Marble's®.

However, Marbles Gunsights are all USA made.

This is from their website: Today, Marble Arms manufactures an impressive lineup of traditional and modern sights for every sporting arm and continues to supply factory equipment sights for most American gun makers. As always, Marble’s products are all steel, all American, and all Gladstone, Michigan U.S.A.

I really like Marble's Gunsites and use them often. They are classy, functional, traditional and in fact, not repros but continuations. Check out their new line of "Traditional Designs" which continues to grow. Buy in confidence.

I only wish that Lyman would follow suit and do a better job with their offerings to recover their market position of the past.

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Sebago Son said:
I'm considering a Providence Tool Company Lyman 21 re-issue for my latest .45-70 Marlin 1895 S. Looks like this....

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7199.html
Ditto what Drew says about the Lyman #21 repro if anyone has a '86, '95, or '94 - or an old Marlin - with the holes already drilled in the receiver. They come in two sizes for long and short receivers. I bought mine directly from Providence Tool.

I carried my '86 around for decades with the unsightly holes blanked-out with slotted screw stock - until I bought this "Climbin' Lyman" repro a couple years ago:

I've seen many old Winchesters and Marlins sporting ugly holes in the receiver that could be improved by the re-addition of this sight. They come with the proper drillbit and tap for freshening up the threads and excellent instructions.

I have both tang and receiver-mounted aperture sights, and prefer receiver-mounted - unless it requires that you drill fresh holes into the receiver of a collectible firearm. Tang sights often get in the way of my thumb and mess up a good solid grip on a heavy-recoiling rifle.

xtm

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't know whether or not Marble's offers this tang sight base anymore. They designed it to move the sight stem as far to the rear of the upper tang as possible - to accomodate the long bolt throws of the original Win. 1886s, 1895s, and the Marlin 1895s. The other benefit is that you can easily wrap your thumb around the wrist of the stock without the sight stem getting in the way. The negative is that it positions the eyecup closer to the eye than I like. It works OK for this .30-40, but might be too close for a heavy-recoiling .405WCF.

xtm

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Xt that mount makes my eye hurt just looking at it. My 45-70's have been known to KICK. I think that I will go with a receiver mounted sight. :shock:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't know whether or not this has already been mentioned, but I find that a rifle with a receiver-mounted aperture sight is much quicker to line up on target than the same rifle with a tang-mounted aperture sight....also quicker than the same rifle with open sights.

IMO, a rifle mounted with a receiver sight is the best one to have when stalking and walking-up big game.

xtm

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
xtimberman said:
I don't know whether or not this has already been mentioned, but I find that a rifle with a receiver-mounted aperture sight is much quicker to line up on target than the same rifle with a tang-mounted aperture sight....also quicker than the same rifle with open sights.

IMO, a rifle mounted with a receiver sight is the best one to have when stalking and walking-up big game.

xtm
I absolutely agree with you Amigo... Receiver sights are fast and accurate. Ideal for the woods and timber or whereever game is jumped and moving.

The Lyman 21 / 38 are the pinnacle in my view. When properly mounted and coupled with a bright 1/16" front bead are an unbeatable combination.

One thing I have noted however and perhaps it's a phenom unique to me only.... When I was younger, I had no practical field use for a Tang Sight. The issue was focus. Aside from aesthetics, I considered them about useless. However, of late, now well into my 50's, I find they seem to work better. Go figure. Maybe it's just wishful thinking that progressive macular degeneration would have some small beneficial side effect....

Very Nice, Super Rare Comb Mounted Flexible on that '95 by the way.... a really fine addition to any sight collection. I know I don't own one and I sure wish I did.... I think I'll just have to pirate your photo and be contented....

Drew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts