Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be coming into an older (mid-80's I believe) 4" 586 and would like to know your thoughts on them.

I've owned a couple of later model 686's, but know virtually nothing about the older 586's. Are they still in production? I've heard something about a recall concerning primers flowing into the firing pin hole, but only with a specific type of ammo - what ammo would that be?

I'd more than likely be running it in IDPA matches, so am curious as to it's ability to deal with throwing a lot of rounds downrange.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
In the 586 you will find an attractive, reliable magnum revolver that just wants to please. In it's 4" version it is handy. Not as heavy as an N-Frame and some folks believe it to be more rugged than a K-Magnum.

As it is, it's a very fine compromise and a great handgun.

The 586 is truly the Magnum In The Middle. Had it been developed in the 60's and not the 80's it would have been a lot more popular as a fighting sidearm.

The earliest Stainless Steel 686's had some issues with firing pin length and/or firing pin bushing clearances but that was resolved quite early in production. Guns marked with an "M" (for "modified") have been upgraded. I have no idea if this was required on the Carbon Steel 586's or not.

I have a 4" round butt 686-No Dash-"M" that had been upgraded with Mepro Night Sights and it does yeoman duty as a house gun. Slick as snot and puts all 6 R-P USBP issue 110 Grn JHP Magnums in the 10 ring at 20 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.

I'll bet you aren't dissappointed with your new Smith.... should give you many years of hard use without a problem.

Drew

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi
The gun is subject to the recall, no time limits. In the very early production there was a problem with the hammer/firing pin bushings. Take a box of 125 Gr bullets and let 'em rip, then check the primers for flow back. It is possible the gun will lock up, but I think thats pretty rare. I don't think its ammo specific in any case. Many of them never needed the work done. Either way, the recall is still in effect, and S&W will do the work for free. Shipping should be free as well, but only if you talk to the right person.
Back in the day, a number of gunsmiths were doing this modification in their shops for S&W, and it is possible you might find a gunsmith who is still able to do the work on site without having to ship the gun back. For example there is one near me who still is doing this in shop and stamping the frame with the M (in the crane) when completed. If you have anyone around who has been in the business for 20 years, thats the place to start asking.
Don't let this recall deter you. Its not a big deal and even if you send it back to S&W they will turn it around FAST. Once you take care of this, your 586 will more than handle what you propose. They are fine revolvers and my bet is you'll love everything about it.

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Drew and Geoff have pretty much covered your question. All I can add is that I've had my 586-4 for a few years and really like it.

They seem to have a little bit of a knock on 'em because they're not a K frame and not an N frame. Some people just don't accept 'em, even after all these years.

But, they really are a good gun. You won't go wrong with one..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My 586 no dash (and no "M") was my first Smith. Unfortunately, it mostly sits in the safe now that I have others that I seem to reach for more often. It is one of those guns though that when I do bring it to the range I often ask myself, "Why don't I shoot this gun more?"

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information guys!

And Cush, that is one super lookin' 586!

I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment, but the fella is lookin' for a Browning BDA (which I have) and never really got attached to his 586. I'm really hoping this deal goes through as that is just one dead sexy sixgun.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, went through with the trade today. No box and it's wearing Hogues, but other than that, looks fine.

I don't see an "M" after the serial number and the only other markings are the "Mod 586-4". I may call S&W Monday and see what they have to say. Would I be able to see if the bushing is cattywompus? Is the firing pin hole supposed to be dished out or anything? It sure does look flat to me.

The original owner used a little too much elbow grease when cleaning powder/lead residue from the outside of the cylinder, resulting in a couple of small patches of worn bluing on the sides of the cylinder at the front of the chambers. He tried to touch up with some cold blue which did not work out so well. I almost wouldn't mind having the cylinder re-blued, but am concerned it would not match up correctly with the rest of the frame.

The only thing I'm going to do is replace the Hogue's with some wood stocks, but not sure where to go for that. If originals are going to set me back too much, I may pick up some of these:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/smweklsqbuco.html

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Lemat,
Did you say 586-4?
The recall only pertained to the no-dash and the dash-one models.

By the way, lookin' good! I believe you'll really like it!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Nice Work. Most Excellent Handgun.

Looks like you got the Red Ramp. Did you get the White Outline too?

I think you'll really like this sixgun.

Drew

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear that this one doesn't fall under the recall. :D

It does have the white outline on the rear sight.

Anyone have any pet loads? I'd love to hear some 38 and 357 loads that these like if you got 'em. It's going to be my new Stock Service Revolver for IDPA.

Also, anyone know when this one was born? BRW75xx

I feel like an official member now. :cool:

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
It turns out ours are fairly close. Mine is BRH84xx and it's from 1994 according to the original owner. He ordered it, and it came in, in very late '94. (It was a Christmas gift to himself.. smart man!)

I would think yours is from '94 also, but there's a big jump in the SCSW3 right about where your serial number would be.

It goes from BRF (Aug 1994) to CAM (Jan 1996).

I guess yours could be 1995, but it's really hard to tell from the SCSW3.

By the way.. welcome to the club! :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Though they don't look so hot, a lot of people, who shoot in IDPA seem to use the rubber grips. I like Pach's better, they fit MY hand. Try the Hogue's first, they may fit YOUR hand perfect!

Wood grips look alot better, but........you'll be shootin'.........not lookin'!!!! :lol: Bob

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
For that kind of money, I'd be seriously interested to see/hear how well those grips fit the frame, and the hand to be wrapped around them. They sure do look really good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts