Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know absolutely nothing about .204 Ruger. I believe it's basically a necked down .223 and a screamer that hits the 4000 fps realm. And that's about all I know about it. I'm wondering if there are certain twists and weights that work best, etc....

giz

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
It does not like the wind at all. Was looking at one a few years ago and talked to an avid {no, I'll say rabid} varmiter. He went back to 223 because of it and I went with 22-250. If shots are under 100 or so yards, no big deal. Out here, shots are what they are and 400 yard shots are sometimes all you get. Ballisticly, under 100, what's the 204 going to do the 22 Mag rimfire will not do? Oh yeah, blow hide and innards into the next township kubvcabo

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hide and Innard's to the next township would fill the bill.... :mrgreen:

I'm setting this one up for Song Doggies... Think cold winter days with no wind...over bait. ;)

At next to nothing for hides...I'm not worried about the other side.

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
No Wind? That'll be a trick.

Careful about hunting over bait for anything other than bears. I think the State frowns on it...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drew,

Looks like the "Sports" that we had have lost one soul...

Wanna go shootin' Coyotes over bait at night in January?

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Drew,

Looks like the "Sports" that we had have lost one soul...

Wanna go shootin' Coyotes over bait at night in January?

giz
Sure, if it's in the Bahamas.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geez Drew.... I'm Sorry....

Forgot you were in "Southern Maine".... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
For 'yotes, over bait, I think that Remington .223 with bipod and scope looked perfect for the job..........or your Remington M-7 in .243 with scope for a lightweight, but more potent, combo. That M-7 would be ideal for totin' around in your wanderings. Don't know much, no..... nothing, about the .204.

How much can you get for the hides, anyway??? Seems like it would pay for your ammo, at least! That can't be a bad thing. Plus, you eliminate some vermin for free!!! Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

Pelts at this time of year don't bring much. Too much work for what you get. Truth be told I hate the little buggers. Shot one today on my wife's Uncle's land.

I want to work with the .204 for awhile. It seems like it has a few advantages over the .223 with the lighter bullet weights. It certainly is a faster and flatter shooting cartridge. At 40 grains it's pretty much the equal of a 220 Swift. It's been around for a few years now and I never paid it much attention..figuring who needs a .20 Caliber. ;)

giz

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Giz, if you are looking for some thing fast, a Contender barrel in 14 X 222 may be the ticket kfjdrfirii
14-222 Reloading Data
Bullet (grs.) Powder / (grs.) MV ME
11.4 HP IMR4198 / 20.0 4200 445
11.4 HP IMR3031 / 21.0 4465 505

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forester said:
Any known problems with barrel wear, Giz?

I haven't heard of any problems with the .204 in the CZ's.... They are running a 1/12" barrel in my model. No scuttlebutt yet. I remember the 220 Swift issues about blowing thru a barrel in about 1000 rounds. So far nothing on the .204 Radar....

giz

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cush and I did some range time with my CZ Varminter. The gun has a 1/12" twist. The load ballistics for the 32grain pill at 4200fps ~ said that if I sighted it in at 1/2" high at 50 yards it would shoot to 1-1/2" high at 100 yards. This proved to be true. At 300 yards it should fall 1 1/2" low... Pretty flat shootin' little zipper!!! :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Cush and I did some range time with my CZ Varminter. The gun has a 1/12" twist. The load ballistics for the 32grain pill at 4200fps ~ said that if I sighted it in at 1/2" high at 50 yards it would shoot to 1-1/2" high at 100 yards. This proved to be true. At 300 yards it should fall 1 1/2" low... Pretty flat shootin' little zipper!!! :mrgreen:

giz
If you catch a Coyote out in the open on a windless day it oughta be pretty good UNzipper too....

1.5" low at 300 yards? Man, that flat shooting.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drew,

I'm looking at using the V-Max .32 for it...it falls off after 250 yards where it is only 3 tenths of an inch low.

The trajectory of the 32 grain V-Max bullet, zeroed for a maximum bullet rise of 1.5", should look like this: +0.1" at 50 yards, +1.1" at 100 yards, +1.5" at 150 yards, +1.1" at 200 yards, -0.3" at 250 yards, -2.7" at 300 yards. The maximum point blank range of the .204 Ruger (+/- 1.5") is approximately 277 yards (calculated for a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore).

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Neat. What kind of energy can you expect at those ranges? Coydogs can take alot of killin' if they're spooked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts