Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, John Taffin just weighed in on the new .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk...here's what he had to say on the SingleActions forum...

YOU WON'T DISAPPOINTED. I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING BOTH VERSIONS AND THEY SHOOT EXCEPTIONALLY WELL. THEY ARE WELL PUT TOGETHER AS TO FIT AND FINISH WITH .431" CHAMBER THROATS AND .004" AND .005" B/C GAPS. REMOVING ONE LEG OF THE TRIGGER RETURN SPRING DROPPED THE 4-3/8# AND 3-5/8# PULLS DOWN TO JUST OVER TWO POUNDS. THE 5-1/2" VERSION PUTS BUFFALO BORE'S HEAVY .44 SPECIAL 255 KEITH LOAD IN ONE HOLE. THE CHECKERED GRIPS ARE FINE EVEN WITH THIS LOAD.

Dammmnnnn.... :mrgreen:

Giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Ol' Skeeter would be sooo pleased! He petitioned and harped at the Ruger brass to offer this revolver/cartridge combo for decades.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed!

A few years ago, Ruger wavered a bit. They didn't give in, but came close. They made a 5.5" Fluted barrel Super with a XR3 gripframe. In the 44 Special loading, it was a dream to shoot...

But to be fair to Old Elmer...his suggestion of " A Dragoon style Frame" for the .44 Magnum, was dead-on. I never bought in to the supposed disagreement between Skeeter and Elmer on this point. I think they were both right.

Managed to procure said Ruger above. In .44 Special loadings it is a wonderful and enjoyable handgun....Load it up to Magnums and it is a punishing beast :shock:

I am in line to buy a .44 Special...figured I owed that much to Skeeter :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just Purchased one of the New Model 44's :shock: with the 5.5" barrel. Its finish is superb and it feels great, I cant wait to take it out and break its virginity :D

I know its a new model cant believe I bought it. it one of the first 55 made.

Dan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan,

I am sorely disappointed in you. After all these years of abstinance, you broke down and bought a two-pinner...Shame on you...Where is your personal fortitude.

If you weren't such a good friend, I would never make this offer. Please, and dear God, before you pull the trigger on that gun ~ box it up and send it to me. I know how you'll suffer if you don't...Oh ~ the Humanity!

Your best buddy, old pal, and greatest friend...

Giz :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my Ruger . 44 Special Blackhawk (4 5/8") about a month ago. It shoots great and is everything that I wanted in a .44 Special. I have two more (both 4 5/8") on order so I'll never have to be without one again.... Thanks Skeeter for educating me about the .44 Special..... :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Those should be fine guns let's hope they sell really well & are a standard cataloged gun. Frank

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
This Ruger is killing me! I loved everything Skeeter wrote and I have taken all of his advice to heart. I've wanted a Colt New Frontier .44 Special badly since Ruger never made the Lipseys special they're making now. Forget the Colt, I want one of these Rugers. I've contacted three dealers, including one from Lipsey's website.

Nothing, none, nada, zip, zero.

I may have to just pay the extra money and get one off GunBroker. I mean, geez, S&W fans are buying them!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Picked mine, a 4 5/8ths, up yesterday. On the way to work this afternoon, I stopped long enough to toss 5 rounds at a target, standing, modified Weaver stance at 10 yards. 4 touching and the 5th opening the group to 3 1/2" Can't wait to work with it a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts