Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those in the know. My LGS has one of the older TC Stalking rifles. She comes with two barrels .223, and 30-06. Both barrels are set up for sling, have iron sights, and have been scoped with Burris scopes. Blueing is 98% or better, wood is to die for. His price is 900.00 OTD. Good? or Bad?

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Re: T C Stalking rifle.

If it's the TCR {83/87}, that's about average. Finding another barrel/caliber could be a challenge

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here she is TC Aristocrat. Showing the .223 barrel and Burris scope, also came with a 30-06 barrel.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
I admire your 'new' rifle! It looks mighty nice, and has two barrels in desirable calibers. You could do all your huntin' with those two rifle calibers. You most likely have other rifles in different calibers. Why would you need to find other barrels? Bob

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Holy Sh,,,,moley, Top of the line TCR! Well done kfjdrfirii

G

·
0 Posts
Thief!!!!

I was looking at one a few months ago. Very desirable. $975 with just a .223 barrel. Seems to be the going rate. Think you did very well, Amigo!

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
1st Class!

Now you are going to have to learn to manage with SSRD (Single Shot Rifle Disease) - of which there is no known cure. :lol:

xtm

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
That is a beautiful rifle, Leighton. I agree with the two calibers comment from Bob. Great combination especially since it is topped with a quality scope. I have always heard great things about Burris optics.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the complements guys and gals. XTM is correct I've aquired the dreaded single shot syndrome. This makes three so far, not counting black powder guns, and I have my eye on a Martini .22lr target, and maybe another Ruger #1.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
FYI Leighton,

William Wurfflein of Philadelphia patented a tip-up single shot action back in the 1890s. Most tip-ups since then have been patterned in part on his designs:
http://books.google.com/books?id=8NKEAA ... BoQ6AEwBw#

I once had a nice Wurfflein chambered in .25-20SS - very elegant, but no more so than your new prize.... :) I hope it is just as accurate!

SSRD can be managed - but requires hours and hours of bullet casting, load development, and shooting. The more time you spend occupied with these activities, the less time you will have to look for another single shot... ;)

This rifle is very fine and deserves to be shot a whole lot! The first thing I would do if it were my rifle would be to develop a nice accurate cast bullet load for the '06 barrel - for hours and hours of shooting pleasure! (That 30'06 barrel is gonna be a real kicker on the bench with 165 and 180 gr. jacketed bullets!) ;)

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
XTM, She'll probably get shot more with the .223 than the 06. Since my fun in Iraq I've had two surgeries having plates put in my neck, fuzing 4 out of the 7 vertabre, and after more tests, needles, MRI's and such it seems that two of them haven't healed right, so they are going back in and brace and wire them together from the back. So I'm pretty sure recoil is going to be an issue, and may have to give up my heavy kickers.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That's why cast bullets are so much fun in a '06 - like shooting a .22WMR...and they can be superbly accurate with a little work and experimentation. :)

In a SS rifle, there are no cycling, feeding, or bullet profile issues to worry about as with a repeater. ;) Once you get your brass formed to the chamber, it'll last nearly forever with light-to-moderate cast bullet loads.

Behind shotgunning, single shot rifles are my next-favorite shooting pastime! I have a fairly advanced case of that disease. :)

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xtimberman said:
That's why cast bullets are so much fun in a '06 - like shooting a .22WMR...and they can be superbly accurate with a little work and experimentation. :)

In a SS rifle, there are no cycling, feeding, or bullet profile issues to worry about as with a repeater. ;) Once you get your brass formed to the chamber, it'll last nearly forever with light-to-moderate cast bullet loads.

Behind shotgunning, single shot rifles are my next-favorite shooting pastime! I have a fairly advanced case of that disease. :)

xtm
I working on it myself. Looking now at a Martini action .22lr, along with another Ruger #1, just not sure of the caliber I want one in. I've already got an #1 RSI in 7X57, she's such a sweetie!

·
Registered
59 Posts
That is a beautiful Aristocrat you have there, Leighton. What a great find. I have one too chambered in .222 Remington. The wood looks like it could be a brother to yours. I have always wanted to pick up another barrel for mine in either 30-06, 308, or 243. My TCR has been bad medicine on several ground hogs over the years. I plan on seeing if it can give the same prescription to some of the local coyote population this winter.

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Leighton said:
Thanks for the complements guys and gals. XTM is correct I've aquired the dreaded single shot syndrome. This makes three so far, not counting black powder guns, and I have my eye on a Martini .22lr target, and maybe another Ruger #1.
Ruger number 1 is one that I may get in the future sometime. I think that is one of the most elegant and classy looking rifles ever made. I remember reading when Ruger decided to build it people thought he was crazy because nobody wanted a single shot rifle. I think he laughed all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WendyZXZ said:
Leighton said:
Ruger number 1 is one that I may get in the future sometime. I think that is one of the most elegant and classy looking rifles ever made. I remember reading when Ruger decided to build it people thought he was crazy because nobody wanted a single shot rifle. I think he laughed all the way to the bank.
Wendy, You are so right!!!! The #1's caught my eye years ago in the RSI configuration, and I've been in love with them ever since. I have an RSI in 7X57, and if I had to keep one, she's in the top 5 for choice.

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Leighton said:
WendyZXZ said:
Leighton said:
Wendy, You are so right!!!! The #1's caught my eye years ago in the RSI configuration, and I've been in love with them ever since. I have an RSI in 7X57, and if I had to keep one, she's in the top 5 for choice.

We think a bit alike. The 7X57 is one of the calibers I would choose. The .257 Roberts is the other one. I always thought that the number 1 is more than a little of a rifleman's rifle. Single shot rifle...you need to know your equipment and limitations.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wendy, The scope on her was given to me by one of our members here, when I was looking for a scope to give her a more european look. It's a Weaver K3, and has been a very good scope for her. With 173gr SP she'll shoot 1/2" all day at 100yds. This rifle will shoot very well with the 140gr loads, but throw's them about 2 to 3" high at 100yds. I haven't had the chance yet to see what she'll do at longer range's, but soon, real soon.

Got the TC to the range the other day, very short range session due to the weather. Only shot the .223. First three rounds at 50yds was 1" low and centered making only one very small ragged hole. Adjusted her to hit 3" high at 50yd. Once the weather gets better I hope to get her on the 100yd range to see what she'll do. After that we should have another shoot at Thunderbird range, an I can get her out to 500yds. As to the 30-06 bbl, I just got another Burris mount for her, so here shortly I'll be getting rings and a scope for her. As to ammo, I have over 3K worth of Greek ball 150gr for shooting in my M1 Garand an 03A3, so thats what I'll be starting with to see what she'll do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts