Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
T C Contender FFL Question

Anybody happen to know if these are catagorized by the ATF as pistols or rifles. Doing an out of state transfer between family and not sure if I need an FFL. It's a 223. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Firearm to be driven not shipped

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
In my state, state law defines what a "handgun" is. You'd probably have to check the state statutes in both your own state, and the state of residence for the recipient.

The caliber of the firearm doesn't enter into it.

In North Carolina, the definition is: "Handgun. — A firearm that has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand."

Since ATF rules generally defer to state law, if either state considers it a handgun, you'd likely need to transfer it as a handgun. Generally handgun rules are more restrictive. Your safest approach is to use FFLs for the transfer, unless the states have special rules for the specific family member relationship you're exchanging ownership between.

In my state, it would be illegal to drive a handgun across state borders for such a direct transfer unless it involved a FFL ("01" or a C&R FFL if the firearm was a qualified C&R). Even with that, all state rules of both states have to be followed in doing the transfer.

·
Registered
19,731 Posts
Anybody happen to know if these are catagorized by the ATF as pistols or rifles. Doing an out of state transfer between family and not sure if I need an FFL. It's a 223. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Firearm to be driven not shipped
It's an out of state transfer - your recipient needs a an FFL on his/her end

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
According to federal law to be a rifle it must have @ least a 16" barrel & be 26" overall, everything else is a handgun. In AZ nothing is required to transfer any gun between family w/in the state. Other states are a whole other thing: some require registry, some nothing, etc. The state it's going to is the real issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts