Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
THE FIX: I utilized a home-made fix similar to the fix described in the forum to correct the problem described above.

I bought a pack of 3/16" wooden dowels from Walmart (cost about $2). They were slightly too big around to fit in the mag release spring tube, so I installed one dowel in an electric drill and using sand paper reduced the diameter a little at a time until it fit slightly loose inside the mag release spring tube. Then using "guesstimation" cut a small piece off one end of the dowel (a piece a little shorter than 1/4" long is what I ended up with) and dropped it inside the mag release spring tube. Then I dropped the mag release spring in on top of it. PRESTO! It works very well and increased the pressure needed to drop the mag sufficiently to prevent accidentally dropping the mag.
LOL. You should pass the "tip" along to Smith & Wesson. Who knows, maybe you get some free stuff out of it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
LOL. You should pass the "tip" along to Smith & Wesson. Who knows, maybe you get some free stuff out of it!
S&W is pretending everything is OK and no fix is needed! The proper S&W fix would be a slightly longer or stronger mag release spring. How much would that cost S&W to prevent lost mags and lots of customer aggravation? 25 cents per gun?

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Went to the range yesterday. My wife fired 100 rounds of OLD 22's through the Victory with zero malfunctions and no mags accidentlly dropping out of the pistol with the home-made mag release fix. How old were the 22's? I don't really know the date they were manufactured but the price tag on the 100 round plastic box of CCI mini-mags said $3.77! Her groups at 10 yards were about the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well dang!!! After singing the praises of MY Victory, bragging how I hadn't seen but one mag drop(not sure of the cause) and having a barrel screw that was holding fast; lo and behold I had one mag drop three times with a single load of 10 rounds AND my barrel takedown screw came loose(noticed at around 75 rounds, not sure when it actually came loose!).

There is near zero chance that any part of my body engages the mag release button while shooting. I don't hook my trigger finger enough to reach and my grip keeps all flesh away from the offending button. Oddly, out of 250 rounds or so, I had the trouble only during one mag load and nothing for the hundred or so rounds I shot after the multi mag drop.

Dang

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The home-made fix I described above is easy to install. Just remove the right side grip panel and the much-too-weak spring can just be lifted out of the mag release button tube and the fix performed. There is nothing holding the mag release spring in the tube except for the right side grip panel.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Premium Member
21,043 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's things like this that confirm that I should have waited a year instead of jumping on the Vic I got in January. After the Ruger IV is out a bit longer (if not already), I anticipate the Vic will be D/C'd or improved up to what the Ruger IV is showing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought a SW22 Victory Threaded model and new out of the box the mag release button has such a light spring that very slight bumps with hand or even when holstering can and does cause the mag to accidently drop out. Anyone else have this problem? I suspect it is a design flaw, and if so all Victory's are in need of a heavier duty mag release spring. If not, maybe it's just mine?

Otherwise it's a perfect pistol!
I had the problem after installing a Volquartzen grip. It came with a button extension that sticks out to long. Before that.....no issue. I'm going to either find a stronger spring or increase the tension by putting a small "plug" before the spring making the spring compress more. My advise to you is to try a new factory spring. See if that helps. stay stock until you can't.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts