Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently bought a SW22 Victory Threaded model and new out of the box the mag release button has such a light spring that very slight bumps with hand or even when holstering can and does cause the mag to accidently drop out. Anyone else have this problem? I suspect it is a design flaw, and if so all Victory's are in need of a heavier duty mag release spring. If not, maybe it's just mine?

Otherwise it's a perfect pistol!

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I don't have that problem with my SW22. Does it feed correctly? Is the mag loose?

·
Premium Member
12,441 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I've not heard that problem before. I have purchased three additional mags and none of the five have given me a problem.

Now I don't have the threaded model; just the plain jane.

welcome01

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My SW22 Threaded Victory has weak spring

My new SW22 Threaded Victory has a very weak mag release spring = drops loaded mag with only 1.2 pounds pressure on mag release button as measured with digital scale. S&W says no one else has complained about a similar problem and offered to send me a new spring. Does anyone else have this problem?

Mags are not loose, feeds perfect, but drops mags accidently at the slightest touch of mag release button.

·
Premium Member
21,094 Posts
I responded in your other thread on the topic. You might want to get a moderator to merge that thread with this one since posting duplicate topics in different forums is frowned upon. Anyway, S&W is pretty good about sending replacement parts. They have sent me the rear sight elevation screw and spring that were missing from my brand new SW22. You should have a new mag release spring within a week. Oh, no one else has posted about a weak mag release spring. Most of the issues we have are with the takedown screw coming loose. There are several fixes on that issue posted in the forum.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I couldn't find that other post of mine so reposted with more info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My new SW22 Threaded Victory has a very weak mag release spring = drops loaded mag with only 1.2 pounds pressure on mag release button as measured with digital scale. S&W says no one else has complained about a similar problem and offered to send me a new spring. Does anyone else have this problem?

Mags are not loose, feeds perfect, but drops mags accidently at the slightest touch of mag release button.
This issue was posted several times on the RFC forum. I like this innovative solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This issue was posted several times on the RFC forum. I like this innovative solution.
Thanks for the great photos and advice. S&W is sending me a new spring, but if it is still too weak I'll try the fix in the photos you referred me to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let's hope the new spring does the trick! My new(200 rounds) Victory has a fairly light resistance in the mag release; but the travel is long enough that I've had no problems with it. I look forward to your experience with the new spring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got an "E" from S&W = Mag release spring not available at this time, back ordered! What????

·
Registered
458 Posts
My vicky22 has about 1,100 rounds thru it Like K22 I have purchased extra magazines I have 6 total and haven't had any problem with any of them falling out. just the barrel retention screw loosening up and the split washer solved that. Good to know about it and the possible fix.
As to your email, when I called about a replacement screw for the barrel I was told that they would send one but they currently out of stock. I think it is a case of the high production of that model, might be causing the shortages of them. Don't worry they sent them in about a week when they came in.:target:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The magazines are not the problem, the TOO SHORT AND WEAK MAGAZINE RELEASE SPRING is the problem.

Good news, S&W did send me a replacement spring that arrived yesterday. After installation I will report on the results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bad news: The new spring and mag release from S&W are the same as the original = no improvement. Will try home-made fix referred to by another poster and advise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dang...I did have one mag come loose after a few rounds; but I didn't identify the source of the 'failure'. Just re-inserted the mag and continued through a total of about 15 more without incident...just using the two original mags. As I am still getting used to the finger-mold grip underlayment set-up from Pearce, I could have easily bumped the release. I'll try to stay alert for the condition described above to determine if I have any new information to offer. As I mentioned, my spring "tension" is pretty low; but the travel is great enough that it takes a deliberate effort to release a mag(with the exception of the one incident).

If it's fair to assume that the extra mags folks are finding are "factory" mags, do we have a source for these other than SW?(A slightly lower total cost would be nice). Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
my 4 extra are all thru the local gun store/range and they are all factory new supplied. Haven't had any fall out other than if i don't seat them properly when inserting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's fair to assume that the extra mags folks are finding are "factory" mags, do we have a source for these other than SW? (A slightly lower total cost would be nice). Thanks!
I got my extra mags at Kentucky Gun Co for $19.99/ea. They are definitely factory mags.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got my extra mags at Kentucky Gun Co for $19.99/ea. They are definitely factory mags.

Looking in the past couple of weeks, I haven't seen any listed there. Guess you got them all :) Five seems like a nice round number to have at hand; but I'll keep looking for a 'sale'. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New spring and mag release from S&W same as the original = no improvement. Will try home made fix referred to by another poster and advise.
THE FIX: I utilized a home-made fix similar to the fix described in the forum to correct the problem described above.

I bought a pack of 3/16" wooden dowels from Walmart (cost about $2). They were slightly too big around to fit in the mag release spring tube, so I installed one dowel in an electric drill and using sand paper reduced the diameter a little at a time until it fit slightly loose inside the mag release spring tube. Then using "guesstimation" cut a small piece off one end of the dowel (a piece a little shorter than 1/4" long is what I ended up with) and dropped it inside the mag release spring tube. Then I dropped the mag release spring in on top of it. PRESTO! It works very well and increased the pressure needed to drop the mag sufficiently to prevent accidentally dropping the mag.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts