Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone here can help, but I have a question regarding the Performance Center version of the Victory. I noticed on mine that cartridges have a hard time feeding because they get stuck going up the ramp. When I took the gun apart and looked at the ramp, I realized that it wasn't polished. It's the exact same color as the rest of the frame.

One of the big selling points for this gun was a "custom polished" feed ramp. Could it be that the ramp is polished in it's own way and I just don't know it, or did they miss that step and sent the gun out without polishing the ramp? Does anyone have a picture of the ramp on their Performance Center Victory for comparison?

TIA

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
welcome01 to the forum. That's a puzzler. My standard SW22 has no issues with the plain ordinary feed ramp. Is it happening with all of the magazines?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. And I've also tried lead and copper-plated ammo. It's a little better with copper-plated but it's still noticable. You can clearly see that the friction on the ramp is what's causing it.

The gun works and I would normally just keep shooting the hell out of it. But if it's supposed to be polished and they said it has a custom polished ramp, then I would probably want them to fix it. Just wondering if anyone that has a Preference Center model also has the same issue.

I found a bunch of posts about polishing the ramp on the original model because of the same issue, but none about the one that says it's already polished.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
You really didn't say what the malfunction is? You say sticking but then you say the gun works?? What exactly is it doing or not doing? Does it go into battery, feed the bullet and go bang or is jamming every round regardless of ammo type??

I have the regular gun and it is flawless, eats any ammo. Can't say about the PC version.

I would say call SW (not on a Monday) but don't know if they are even open with all this crisis going on??.

Whatever you do, DON"T polish the ramp, let SW take care of whatever the issue is. If you mess with it they may void the warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You really didn't say what the malfunction is? You say sticking but then you say the gun works?? What exactly is it doing or not doing? Does it go into battery, feed the bullet and go bang or is jamming every round regardless of ammo type??
Sorry. The malfunction is that the cartridge doesn't get fed all the way through. I always have to kinda push it in the last few millimeters. It's as if the force of the bolt could be a little harder so the cartridge goes all the way in. As I watch it cycle through, I can see the bullet rubbing pretty hard on the ramp so it's easy to see where the resistance is.

Yeah, I plan on calling them to see what they think. I just get stuck on the whole polished ramp deal. If anyone has a Performance Center version, I would appreciate if you could check to see if yours is polished so I don't sound like an idiot when I call them.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Sorry. The malfunction is that the cartridge doesn't get fed all the way through. I always have to kinda push it in the last few millimeters. It's as if the force of the bolt could be a little harder so the cartridge goes all the way in. As I watch it cycle through, I can see the bullet rubbing pretty hard on the ramp so it's easy to see where the resistance is.

Yeah, I plan on calling them to see what they think. I just get stuck on the whole polished ramp deal. If anyone has a Performance Center version, I would appreciate if you could check to see if yours is polished so I don't sound like an idiot when I call them.
Well then the bullet made it up the ramp.
Is it just the first round, every round or what??

Try cleaning the barrel really well with a bronze brush and solvent. Are you using hollow points or regular round nose. Some gun will jam the nose of the HP bullets. Some guns are very brand specific. What Brands have you tried??.
SW tests with CCI standard velocity lead round nose,

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Sounds like the chamber is tight or needs a good scrubbing. tight chambers are usually caused by reamers that are near the end of their usefulness & can only be corrected w/ a better reamer. First I'd do a serious scrubbing w/ solvent & bronze brush, if that don't work I'd call S&W since few people are equipped w/ a proper reamer.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
You pay a very premium price for the Performance Center Modifications. There for regardless of what the problem is The Performance needs to make it right. Sent it back. They will straighten it out . their reputationis on the line here. They don't want unhappy customers. Be sure to tell them what ammo you shoot . they can tune it to that ammo .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gun is brand new. I've ran about 700 rounds through it already, cleaning it every 200 rounds. Most of the stuff I've shot is CCI, except for 100 of Federal.

Because it's new, I've been trying different types to see what works best. But this happens with pretty much all of them. Always on the first round and intermittently after that. About 400 were hollow and the rest round.

I hate buying a new gun and then having to send it in. I guess I was trying to convince myself that it would work itself out but it is a Performance Center gun. It shouldn't do that and I'm pretty sure the unpolished ramp is the issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give you guys an update on what S&W tells me.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The gun is brand new. I've ran about 700 rounds through it already, cleaning it every 200 rounds. Most of the stuff I've shot is CCI, except for 100 of Federal.

Because it's new, I've been trying different types to see what works best. But this happens with pretty much all of them. Always on the first round and intermittently after that. About 400 were hollow and the rest round.

I hate buying a new gun and then having to send it in. I guess I was trying to convince myself that it would work itself out but it is a Performance Center gun. It shouldn't do that and I'm pretty sure the unpolished ramp is the issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll give you guys an update on what S&W tells me.
On the first round, do you have the slide locked back and then "slingshot" it into battery or are you holding the slide and easing it closed.?
Gotta let it fly/slam shut!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the first round, do you have the slide locked back and then "slingshot" it into battery or are you holding the slide and easing it closed.?
Gotta let it fly/slam shut!
I let it fly. I have several semis, which is why it seems weird to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts