Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would just add my 2 cents here....
Just got my new SW22 PC to the range yesterday. Oh my! I don't think I've had that much fun shooting in years!
  • Easy to shoot well
  • Cheap to run
  • Looks amazingly cool and a head turner at the range
Guys shooting big boy canons all wanted to take a few shots with it and all loved it.
I put a few hundred rounds total through it (from three different brands of ammo) with not one problem.
I could shoot this all day long and end the day with a big grin!
This is my first rimfire gun and I do have two questions for the community (possibly related answers)...
1. Why do they shoot so dirty? It was amazing how dirty this gun was after a few hundred rounds.
2. What's with the waxy stuff on all the cartridges? Is this a rimfire thing or specific to 22LR only? I haven't run into this on any of my other (centerfire) pistols or revolvers. What's the purpose?

Thanks,
KC

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I thought I would just add my 2 cents here....
Just got my new SW22 PC to the range yesterday. Oh my! I don't think I've had that much fun shooting in years!
  • Easy to shoot well
  • Cheap to run
  • Looks amazingly cool and a head turner at the range
Guys shooting big boy canons all wanted to take a few shots with it and all loved it.
I put a few hundred rounds total through it (from three different brands of ammo) with not one problem.
I could shoot this all day long and end the day with a big grin!
This is my first rimfire gun and I do have two questions for the community (possibly related answers)...
1. Why do they shoot so dirty? It was amazing how dirty this gun was after a few hundred rounds.
2. What's with the waxy stuff on all the cartridges? Is this a rimfire thing or specific to 22LR only? I haven't run into this on any of my other (centerfire) pistols or revolvers. What's the purpose?

Thanks,
KC
Some .22 is filthy, while other brands are just really dirty. I clean my .22's more often than my .380's but I enjoy cleaning guns so no problem. I think (not sure) that the coating on the .22 rounds might also have something to do with why those guns get so dirty.

All .22lr rounds are waxed or oiled. Most are fine as is, like the CCI mini mags, but some have SO MUCH gunk of them that it behooves you to wipe each round on paper towels before loading, like the Geco .22lr that my friend bought and donated to me. For free I don't mind wiping a couple hundred rounds. Then there is the intermediately messy stuff like Armscor, which will work fine in some guns but not in others. You might or might not have to wipe that brand off, depending on your gun.

I never shot other rimfire cartridges so not sure if they are oily/greasy or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.