Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every SW22 I've seen has the same issue. The "nose" on the end of the receiver is not squared. On my gun it's shifted to the left a few thousands, of an inch, and off in the horizontal the same. At least mine is square in the vertical. I have seen others that are not squared in any axis. The fixture the two pieces are put in before welding is off. I am in manufacturing and this would be a no cost fix. My QA manager would be embarrassed if our products went out this way. The barrel fits into this, and when not aligned with the receiver, the barrel simply follows it. From a workmanship position, this should have been fixed years ago.
Take a look at your gun and report back if you find the same thing. Maybe if enough of us call them out, they could offer a factory fix.

I'm going to have mine squared up and re-welded, at a shop I know of near Chicago. Anyone else interested in having their barrel and receiver aligned perfectly? I believe I can get it done for about $75.00.

Let me know.

Tom

BTW over 1000 rounds downrange and only 3 failures.

·
Premium Member
21,696 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Why not give S&W Customer Service a call and ask for the phone number and mailing address of their quality control manager. Then, call or write him/her to let them know what defects you see. My guess is he or she will be interested in your feedback. But, as Layne has stated so succinctly, if it hits where you aim and is reliable, the alignment is probably within their quality standards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With adjustable sights, this is much more a fit and finish point. I know it's only a $300 gun, but this alignment issue can be answered with a better fixture at S&W before they weld it. It should be a simple thing.
Why wouldn't you want to make your product better, when the cost is so low? You know car doors and hoods used to be misaligned when they got to the dealer,(1950's and 60's) and part of his prep, was to fix all that. The cars still drove, and stopped. Cars have improved as manufacturing improved. All manufacturing has improved, and this type of fit and finish error should be unacceptable at S&W. Remington just went broke. The Ruger Mark series is tight, and smooth. I liked the stainless steel, the sights, and I wanted a S&W brand and had heard good things about how they shoot and how they eat any 22 ammo. It does shoot much better than I can, and it eats anything I give it.
I say again, it's such a simple, low cost improvement, why aren't they interested in making a good product better? It's an indication of a corporate philosophy, that could drive them into the same position Remington is in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Layne 12gun:
If the car starts, stops well, goes rumm-rumm every time . Heats and A/c like it is suppose to !! Why are you worried about cosmetics ???
Because those cosmetics indicate an engineering design philosophy that run through the entire design. Good enough is good enough, but if you can make it perfect for free, why not?

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
With adjustable sights, this is much more a fit and finish point. I know it's only a $300 gun, but this alignment issue can be answered with a better fixture at S&W before they weld it. It should be a simple thing.
Why wouldn't you want to make your product better, when the cost is so low? You know car doors and hoods used to be misaligned when they got to the dealer,(1950's and 60's) and part of his prep, was to fix all that. The cars still drove, and stopped. Cars have improved as manufacturing improved. All manufacturing has improved, and this type of fit and finish error should be unacceptable at S&W. Remington just went broke. The Ruger Mark series is tight, and smooth. I liked the stainless steel, the sights, and I wanted a S&W brand and had heard good things about how they shoot and how they eat any 22 ammo. It does shoot much better than I can, and it eats anything I give it.
I say again, it's such a simple, low cost improvement, why aren't they interested in making a good product better? It's an indication of a corporate philosophy, that could drive them into the same position Remington is in.
I don't think so (Remington). Remington is because of lawsuits (and corporate issues). None of that applies to S&W. I'm with Layne and Guy. If it functions properly, I wouldn't get my panties in a wad over it. Call them and see however. Now, if was a Performance Center piece, I'd expect a higher level of quality. Been down that road myself with a Performance Center piece and it got handled right away.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received my gun back from S&W warranty service. They made no change to the nose. They did other things and I am very satisfied with the results. I do not want to specify what they did, to avoid armchair diagnosis. I can say they made it right. I wanted to close the loop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.