Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided toget a new M41 5.5" for target shooting. I really loved the looks of the gun and shoot several 1911s, so I thought it would be a natural choice. Unfortunately, the gun was dead on arrival. When i first took it out to shoot it, it first a single round but would not eject it. The slide moved back about 1/4 of an inch. The spent shell had to be pushed out of the gun with my carbon fiber cleaning rod. The whole magazine went like this. I took the gun in and read the manual and decided to try cleaning the gun. (I had already cleaned the barrel of rust preventative.) I paid special attention to the chamber and cleaned it thoroughly with a bronze brush. I lubricated and reassembled the gun took it out to test and and nothing had changed. It still fired only one shot and failed to eject it. As before, the shell had to be removed with the cleaning rod. I am shooting CCI standard velocity lead heads.

I inspected the gun thoroughly and even though it is my first SW semi-auto, some things just didn't look right. The feed ramp didn't look polished and shiny, even after cleaning, and the chamber did not appear I talked to SW and they said that if the slide was not moving properly it would have to be sent it. I'd have to wait 6-8 weeks to get it back.

Needless to say, I'm really angry I spent a lot of money on a gun that clearly wasn't ready for prime time. I doubt that anyone fired it. I'm especially frustrated since if any gun should work fine right out of the box, this one should. It's been around since 1957.

Before I send the gun in, is there anything I'm missing? I'm not about to pull out a dremel tool and work on the feeding ramp or chamber or work on the slide.

I just can't believe this is happening to me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Also take the firing pin and spring out, remove clean the ejector and the insides of the entire area. If its been sitting a long time it's all gummed up. I thought it was a new gun until your last line, now I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
12,285 Posts
Try ammo with over 1100fps.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ah. The DESIGN has been around since 1957. Gottcha, well then some high velocity ammo shoukd sort it out I'm thinking. Non hollow point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It IS a new gun,
I think the issue is a narrow chamber. I've been reading other forums and this is a common complaint. One user used a plastic slotted jag and toothpaste on a patch to polish out the chamber. It worked. I decided to take a live CCI SV round and see how well it fit into the chamber -- the old "kerplunk" test that centerfire pistol shooters sometimes use. Sure enough, the round did not drop in smoothly but had to be pushed in. The brass seemed tightest at the rim. So if it's a snug fit going in, it must be an even tighter fit going out, after the brass has expanded from firing. Other 41 owners suggested reaming the chamber using a rimfire target chamber reamer from Brownells. That sounds a little too aggressive and the reamers are expensive, so I'l try the polishing route instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I loaded up a magazine of CCI Mini-Mags, and tried it out but no luck. It would only fire the first round and the bolt got stuck on recoil. I called S & W, arranged for the shipment, and sent my gun off describing the problem and asking that a technician with experience on Model 41s look at it.

So, with a timeline of 6-8 weeks, I shouldget my gun back by Valentine's Day:) I just can't belief this gun made it out of the factory without being test-fired. I have four SW wheelguns and never had any problems. Believe it or not, one of them was a 657 41 Magnum bought NIB. It had a fired shell and a signed card by the person who fired it.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Have you spoken to S&W about this issue? You just don't hear much bad about the S&Ws model 41, especially NEW ones. I'm sure S&W will take care of this for you.
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.