Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I just purchased this bad boy.

Supposedly less than 50 rounds through it.

CUH is the first 3 digits. Trying to figure out a date.

Anyone have any experience with one?

Also, trying to reload 500sw on my XL650.

Why do I need to spend 400 dollars worth of attachments to get this bad boy up to speed. 100 dollar conversion, 150 for the casefeed stuff, 30 bucks for the larger powder die and for some reason dillon doesn't make a die set so I have to go elsewhere.

Could anyone provide some guidance?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have a 3 inch. It is a blast to shoot. I don’t reload for it. Don’t expect I’ll be shooting mine that much.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ammo is expensive and so is the brass. .70 cents per empty shell casing. What did I do. I was better off shooting 44 lol. Oh well. Maybe I'll stick to factory too.

It's just really really expensive lol.

15 grains of titegroup and some Berry's bullets will help but it's only the start.

I better enjoy this gun.

Moe

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Why I don't use a Dillon. Caliber changes are way too expensive. Get yourself a set if Hornady dies and a nice single stage Rockchucker or a Redding T8 Turret press. Brass from Starline, primers from CCI or Federal and a Lee Collet crimp die in 500 S&W.

·
Registered
22,154 Posts
Very nice hand cannon! I would reload and shoot it often. Enjoy. Range report hopefully soon?:cool:

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Shoot it for a little while and then sell it once the novelty of having one wears off. You got it with less than 50 rounds shot through it because more than likely the novelty wore off for the previous owner as well. The 500 revolvers are unique, and pretty much useless for anything other than a fun gun to shoot. I wouldn't invest in the reloading equipment until you are fully committed to keeping it.

I had the same model, and I had it for all of 6 months. When I bought mine the seller threw in 95 rounds of ammo with it. 3 boxes of 25 rounds, and the 4th with just 20 rounds in it. I didn't need to ask the seller why the last box had just 20 rounds in it. I already knew, and that's why he was selling it.
A friend of mine and I shot the 20 rounds that were left in the open box, and I sold it a while after that. 6 months later I sold it. It was listed in the local gun sales website for less than a day before it was sold. I included 25 rounds of ammo with it when I sold the pistol. I sold the other 2 boxes for $40 each. I bought the pistol for $800, and sold it for $950. Add the $80 I also got from the ammo, and I figure I did pretty well in my deals.

Regards,
Gearchecker

S_W 500 Left.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered 400 rounds from LAX ammo. 325 gr 1800 fps. 87 cents a round. I'll shoot these and buy a set of dies and use my single stage before investing in the Dillon equipment.

Starline brass goes for 56 cents a round. 31 cents more I get a loaded round.

Only issue is shooting 400 full load rounds out of this thing. Lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought this for 750 figured I could have my fun and sell it for 900 in a few years.
Seems like we all have similar plans.

Fun gun to rent for a good price lol.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
I was going to recommend that you setup on a single stage press also. I don't expect you'll be producing .500 S&W in quantity. Then again... You might like it!

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 44. I like shooting it down loaded. Hot loads are fun every now and then.

I feel like I will feel the same with the 500. This is my 6th sw stainless revolver

Not sure what else I need after this. Maybe a 9mm? Who knows.

Also, recently purchased a desert eagle 44 mag with 10 inch barrel. So I think I've got a thing for novelty.

Anyone have a book to give me an estimated age?

Moe

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Shoot it for a little while and then sell it once the novelty of having one wears off. You got it with less than 50 rounds shot through it because more than likely the novelty wore off for the previous owner as well. The 500 revolvers are unique, and pretty much useless for anything other than a fun gun to shoot. I wouldn't invest in the reloading equipment until you are fully committed to keeping it.

I had the same model, and I had it for all of 6 months. When I bought mine the seller threw in 95 rounds of ammo with it. 3 boxes of 25 rounds, and the 4th with just 20 rounds in it. I didn't need to ask the seller why the last box had just 20 rounds in it. I already knew, and that's why he was selling it.
A friend of mine and I shot the 20 rounds that were left in the open box, and I sold it a while after that. 6 months later I sold it. It was listed in the local gun sales website for less than a day before it was sold. I included 25 rounds of ammo with it when I sold the pistol. I sold the other 2 boxes for $40 each. I bought the pistol for $800, and sold it for $950. Add the $80 I also got from the ammo, and I figure I did pretty well in my deals.

Regards,
Gearchecker

View attachment 451163
+10 on that. The 500 is like a 500 DE. Novelty handgun. Sort of like the Barrett 50 I sold a couple years ago. Had to have it, shot it a couple time, realized it was basically useless and offed it. Always be a market for that type of hand cannon because people want to possess one until they realize that possession is basically a one way street because it has no practical application in real life,

Now I do use my S&W 460 XVR but that is a different wheelgun for a different discipline and I reload for it as well. I have no intention of ever selling it because I use it.... for killing game animals.

Not overly fond of my 44 Smith either but it was my dad's so I keep it. Basically another worthless wheelgun. Terrible muzzle climb and wicked recoil, like the 500, not a fun gun to shoot though I have taken white tails with it before, but it's always a chore.

The 460, in the other hand is smooth, trigger pull is fantastic, no muzzle climb and is deadly accurate out past 100 yards.

Never be a .500 caliber anything in my gun cabinet.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting I bought a 500 in 4" also. Ran across it at my local pawn shop, it also came with a 25 round box of ammo less 5 rounds. I just bought it cause I could, don't expect to shoot it a lot but who knows. It is a Hoss. I've been searching for some decent priced factory ammo, thanks for the tip of LAX ammo.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
I've been searching for some decent priced factory ammo,
There is no such thing as decent priced ammo for the .500...

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
There is no such thing as decent priced ammo for the .500...
100% correct. Even handloads are expensive and brass life is limited from mouth cracking cause by the excessive crimp necessary to keep the pills from setting back from the recoil.I actually anneal the case mouths on my 460 handloads much like I anneal bottleneck cases because the 460 requires a very aggressive crimp as well, but the 460 is much more economical to reload and 'factory' rounds are less expensive as well, compared to the 500 smith.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Bottom line is, the .500 caliber round is a rich man's round with little practical application and while the guns have a certain mystique about them, everyone wants a 500 Smith or a 500 DE, in reality there is very little practical use for them except as a status symbol. In reality all the big bore handguns fall into that realm.

The other thing is, you batter have a big paw. Big bore handguns don't fit little hands very well. Even my 460, I make sure I have a two handed grip on it and I never straight arm it not the 44 either. I'm not 'dirty harry' by a long shot. You straight arm a magnum caliber handgun ant tough of a few, you'll be taking some Advil afterwards...lol

Have fun with it. You'll get tired of it pretty quick, just like the previous owner got tired of it and offed it.

In my case, I'm very careful about what I buy, don't have a lot and I don't collect them. When I buy a weapon, be in a rifle or a handgun, I have a specific purpose in mind, in my case hunting or indoor target shooting.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I’ll not venture in to the .500 world. I have a .454 Casull in a 4 3/4” Freedom Arms. I reload for it so I can download it and shoot it for fun. Nothing fun about those very hard kicking revolvers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I enjoy the 460V, but am very attracted to the idea of shooting a 500 S&W. The 460 recoil quickens my senses, and I take pride in shooting my own handloads. If I come across a 500 S&W for $750 or $800, I'll pick it up.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I was going to recommend that you setup on a single stage press also. I don't expect you'll be producing .500 S&W in quantity. Then again... You might like it!

I agree, I reload for the 500 and cast 440 grain bullets. It’s quite the caliber, I reload on a a single stage RCBS jr 3 from 1973. It works well. I would not run this on my progressive press.

Enjoy..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Why do I need to spend 400 dollars worth of attachments to get this bad boy up to speed?[/IMG]
Why I don't use a Dillon. Caliber changes are way too expensive...
I don't get it...

A Dillon caliber conversion kit is $85. An extra toolhead is <$25. Another powder die is <$15.

You'll need a set of dies, too, but you should still be able to start reloading for <$200 in equipment.

(Components are more, I know.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts