Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the Forum,

I have a SW 380 that I bought new back in '95. Only shot maybe 200 rounds in it over the years with only one issue. The rear take down rail pin slides out to the left after firing maybe a dozen rounds. At that point the take down rail is only held in place on one side. I then have to push the pin back in. Been doing this since new. I sent it back once to S&W and after getting it back does the same thing. I emailed them recently and they are sending me a label to send it back again.

Has anyone else had this problem with a SW 380 and what may have been the fix? Not sure if it's worth sending back again. Besides that issue it's a nice little gun. May be better to keep as is and keep on eye on the pin.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
Sounds like the hole that should engage the pin is either worn or was drilled too large.

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but be sure to explain that this has been a continuous problem including after return from it's first visit back to the gunsmiths at Smith and Wesson.

If you're planning on doing anything with it related to self defense, worrying about a pin walking out of position should be the last thing you have to deal with.

They know that that kind of thing is unacceptable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try a new pin first. It been doing this since new and sent back once already but same issue, but they were nice enough to send me two new clips. Much better than the old style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the hole that should engage the pin is either worn or was drilled too large.

I'm not familiar with the specific model, but be sure to explain that this has been a continuous problem including after return from it's first visit back to the gunsmiths at Smith and Wesson.

If you're planning on doing anything with it related to self defense, worrying about a pin walking out of position should be the last thing you have to deal with.

They know that that kind of thing is unacceptable.
Thanks, probably try a new pin first and just a touch of Loctite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts