Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My military surplus Sig M17 came in today. Unfortunately I am currently 500 miles from home and won't be able to pick it up until I get back. The FFL guy was nice enough to take a couple of pictures for me and give me a brief description. From what he said and judging from the pictures, it looks like there is very little wear and it mostly just needs a good cleaning. I missed out on the MARSOC Colts a few years back and I was determined not to miss out on one of these.

They come with one 17 round magazine and two 21 rounders, along with the usual owners manual and packed in the military shipping box.

Not the best pictures, but they will have to do for now:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are these surplus? Is the military changing pistols again?
The story is that these are pistols that Sig sold to the Army as trials guns. The Army decided that they wanted the controls changed from coyote tan to black and rather than change out the controls, Sig just took back the guns and gave the Army new ones. There is a debate on just how many they took back and estimates range from 3000 to 5000. Along with the gun you get a certificate of authenticity, owners manual, two 21 round magazines and one 17 round mag. They are in their own unique serial number range.

As I mentioned, I missed out on the MARSOC Colts that were returned back to Colt when they were first selling for $1500. I might add that at that time there were all the usual complaints by the cheapskates that it was too much to pay for a used gun, Colts were junk, yada, yada, yada. Well, now those same guns are trading for over $3000.

It kind of reminds me of the very same people with no vision saying that the CMP 1911's were going to be junk and were over priced. From what I see posted up on the internet, the recipients of the CMP guns are getting some pretty decent 1911's that would no doubt sell for more than what they paid for them on the secondary market.

I actively collect military firearms and US weapons in particular and this seemed like the best opportunity I would have to get one of these.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Highpower, have you posted this fantastic find on the Decommissioned USGI/Sig Sauer M17 Owners Association website? If you haven't been to the site I recommend that you check it out, as there is a great deal of information about the M17 Surplus. I believe that the group now has information on over 2,000 M17s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts