Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I'm not sure I've seen NFA stuff (suppressors or otherwise) discussed here very often.

We have a local dealer that's an expert on these, but I've really never looked into them. He's got a wide range of them, a kiosk for automating the paperwork and a number in limbo awaiting the NFA processing.

For handguns, he typically recommends buying one that can adapt to multiple calibers, but I expect high power rifle would require something just for that round.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I have two AAC suppressors. A 5.56 quick detach, and a direct thread .22 suppressor. I like them, but can’t say I have a lot of knowledge outside of those two. I am currently toying with a SilencerCo for my .300 Blackout. I am undecided on the titanium vs. steel thing.

Your post doesn’t indicate your experience with suppressors so, they are still loud enough to ring your ears with super sonic loads if you are not outside in a very open environment. I also can’t say that they helped accuracy. I believe the .22 suppressor hurt it. Especially on my .22/45 lite Ruger with the tensioned barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
It's difficult to make an intelligent recommendation absent any criteria from you.

There are a lot of choices. Is your priority a dedicated 30cal can being the quietest without any considerations to weight or size? Do you want a 30cal can that is more usable on other calibers like 5.56 preferring a smaller lighter can at the expense of a bit lower sound suppression? Is budget a consideration... on and on and on.

The OP is like... I have a pickup truck. What are the best tires for it? But no mention you live in Los Angeles and its just a street truck, or live in woods and do a lot of 4wd back road driving, or looking for mud & snow tires... or or or.

If you are new to the suppression game then my advice is to visit any number of silencer related forums and spend some time at SilencerShop.com. SilencersShop is very competitive, has a wealth of online information available, will answer any questions you have and are great to do business with. Happy silencer hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. This is a great starting point. I will primarily use for hog hunting in TX and only need one for my M&P 10. Appreciate everyone’s time...

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
A low volume dedicated can for one rifle... most any 30cal can will do. For hunting, weight (titanium vs stainless steel) will likely be your biggest consideration. I'd call SilencerShop and tell them what you just told us. They'll help you reduce the choices from the eighty 30cal cans they have available to a handful that well fit your needs and whatever budget you might have. Otherwise, your eyes will glaze over with the endless choices in the below link.

https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle.html?product_list_limit=all

·
Registered
13,435 Posts
A Fram oil filter is cheaper.....lol

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
I have a couple of cans, and one of my gunsmith's is going to send me one of the models he's now manufacturing. All I have to pay is for the receiving transfer at my FFL here, and the $200 tax stamp.
My FFL in Idaho is going to add me to his license, and I'm going to become a sales person here for his new suppressors. He has a couple of patents for his design, and it's an all new design compared to other cans on the market. He has taken the last 3 years working on getting it just right. He says it'll be one of the quietest can's available.
Personally I like the idea of putting the can into a trust, but the feds have made that much, much more difficult than buying it as an individual ownership.

Advice, find a dealer that does electronic filing of your paperwork. It'll shave months over the Tax Stamp process.
The hardest thing about telling you what can to buy, is not knowing what caliber/cartridge you'll be shooting. Right now AAC (Advanced Armament Corp.) makes some of the finest 30 caliber cans on the market. Silencer Co is another, and Gemtech is another.
30 caliber cans are large, and quite heavy.

For hog hunting, you might want to get an AR-15 in 300 Blackout. you can buy just the 300 BLK upper and use the lower for either weapon with one exception.
If the lower is registered as a rifle you can't convert it into a pistol by changing the upper into a pistol configuration. And you can't use a registered pistol lower with a rifle upper.
300 BLK ideal for hog hunting, and with a good suppressor you won't need hearing protection. Get your can from a reputable dealer, and put them in your hands before you buy one. That way you'll know the size, weight, and the suppressors decibel cutting specs in advance of your purchase. There is nothing worse than buying a can, spending at least $50 for the transfer, and another $200 for the Tax Stamp, plus $400-1,000 on the can itself, and finding out the can you bought won't serve your needs.
Selling a can is very difficult, because you have to get a transfer authorization from the BATFE before you can even put it in the hands of a FFL dealer, and then getting it transferred to the new buyer. Personal ownership suppressor transfers are much different that doing so in a retail store. Mostly because you need to get a release from the feds just to part with it.

This is a photo of one of my 300 blackout pistols with a can on it. The can is 9" long and weighs as much as the barrel alone.
I separated the can from the barrel for a comparison for the size of the can against the size of the pistol barrel.

AERO AR-15 PISTOL_1 RIGHT.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
One more thought on the subject.
A suppressor also helps with accuracy, because it takes some of the shock of leaving the barrel and crown, and processes those pressure changes throughout the suppressor.
On my 300 BLK it nearly cut my groups by 1/2.

Reactions: 1av8r

·
Registered
80 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You didn't state your location but you may find silencercentral.com useful as well. They used to be Dakota Silencer and are located in Sioux Falls, SD.
They have some very nice products and also offer barrel threading and travel throughout many states. They also handle all the NFA paperwork right at the gun shows, 15 minutes or so. Very nice products. As Phil suggested, do some searching. As a retired toolmaker I chose titanium from Mack Bros stack design. More expensive than AL but they are a fantastic design and I like durability. Mine makes my .223 sound like a rimfire rifle.

That's not to say no one else has the same stuff. Good Luck searching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was watching a review on YT of the M&P 10 & they did not recommend suppressing the 10 unless you are prepared to modify / replace the gas block. Potential problems in putting a can on the .308 M&P 10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts