Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a groundhog problem and need some advice. The parameters are that I need to remove several ground hogs, stealthfully and quietly as possible in a suburban area. I have some potent air rifles, but they are pretty loud. I was testing my idea of super colibris at the range today. They were quieter than my air rifles by alot. Will they produce a clean and quick kill on a groundhog of average size? If not, are there some other ideas out there. The area is surrounded on one side by an apt complex and two sides by residential, suburban housing. The rest is a suburban woods.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Re: Super colibri vs groundhog

That's pushing the limits, I would say. It is only going to be pushing around 600 fps if you're lucky. They sure are quiet though. I use them to good effect on chipmunks in my yard. Like you say, they are much quieter than my air rifle, even though that doesn't exceed 1000 fps. Give it a try and see how it works. It may turn out to be potent medicine but I am skeptical. Keep to real short ranges. less than 50 feet, if possible.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Forester, thanks for the quick response and the velocity info. The super colibri's seemed to hit as hard as my .22 cal RWS model 48. That velocity on the rimfire would put them about even, but so much quieter. I'll post results.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

Close all your windows except the one you're going to shoot through, step back into the center of the room and shoot from inside. Aim between the eye and the ear. A miss and all you get is nothing.... A body shot is gonna mean a wounded whistle pig and a call to the cops.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Super colibri vs groundhog Updated with results.

It didn't take long after conducting further testing. The super colibri proved very quiet. It was not accurate out of the Henry or the Wildcat. It was unable to put down a mighty chipmunk or a squirrel. There was no way I would try it on a larger animal. It has potential, but only on a mouse in the house at close range, maybe. Still, a cool round. I just have to find some good use for it.

For the ground hogs, I'm now thinking of CB shorts. Pretty loud, but on target.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I shot 9 groundhogs last summer with and old Springfield 22 rifle, using .22 LR. The problem I had was the large mother took a couple of shots to take down. She was a big Mamma.

Once a couple of years ago I tapped one and she ran down her hole to die. I know she was dead from the smell a couple days later.

I would like to get a better round to take them down with the first shot so they don't go back to hole to die. Maybe better shot placement will help too. Sometimes it's hard to get a good head shot on them.

It's an ongoing battle in my backyard.

I think I'm going to try the M648 with hollow points and see if that helps. Problem is I don't keep it in the garage like I do the old 22 rifle. So if I try to go and get it it's too late or they see me and run down the hole. Next larger round I have is .357, but that maybe over kill.

I don't worry too much about the noise, seems like everyone in my neighborhood shoots.

Dave

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
WGlide take a spent 22 LR hull and hold it upright tight against the very bottom edge of your bottom lip. Purse your upper lip and go pssst pssst into the top. You have to mess around a little to get the hull right but it will make a perfect imitation of there chirps. If you give a couple chirps wait a couple seconds and do it again they cant resist and will pop there head up and look around to see whats up and you nail them.
We used to take turns one chirping with a 22 hull and the other shooting.It was a long time ago but I did some experimenting with different 22 rounds and the best I found for gophers as we call them was remington yellow jackets hollow point.I have no idea of the velocities or any thing on them but they make a distinctive crack when you fire them and do way more damage on gophers from my experiences.
There are probably as good or better rounds I dont know about because I am no ammo expert but they did such a good job for me I still use them for killing little critters and dont waste them plinking there not cheap.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey Onenut,

Thanks for that adivice on calling the Groundhog out. i never thought of trying to call them up out their holes. I'll see if i can find those yellow jacket rounds too. I think I saw them in Gander's.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
415 Posts
For ground hogs I use CCI stingers. Even then, it may take a couple of shots?
Steve

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I used a 22 CB cap in the long case and it worked in my 320 Winchester and was deadly on tree rats.No one heard the shots and I was in the city at the time too.You can go so far as to make a legal suppressor IF you shoot through a long box that is lined with fiberglass insulation.It will silence a .22 LR if the box is long enough and not very wide,its NOT attached to the gun so is a legal sound suppressor.

·
Registered
415 Posts
scaatylobo258 said:
I used a 22 CB cap in the long case and it worked in my 320 Winchester and was deadly on tree rats.No one heard the shots and I was in the city at the time too.You can go so far as to make a legal suppressor IF you shoot through a long box that is lined with fiberglass insulation.It will silence a .22 LR if the box is long enough and not very wide,its NOT attached to the gun so is a legal sound suppressor.
I think your kidding yourself about being legal with a device like this?
Steve

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Use standard Velocity 22lrs, use solids and file the tip flat about 1/16th down and an old style baby-bottle nipple over the muzzle. Please don't ask me about this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts