Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 months of putting up with what the doctor said was a frozen shoulder I was able to go shooting today. Still somewhat painful but much better, it just takes time. So off to the range with my Colt 38 super. The bullseye target was shot standing two hand hold (weaver stance) at 10 yards. The paper plate was shot duelist style with the weak hand at 10 yards. With the weak hand the hits were higher. The two hand hold was pretty much right on, POA-POI. Now for the pics DSCN0845.JPG DSCN0846.JPG DSCN0847.JPG It felt really good to go to the range today even though it was in the lower 40's.:cool: BTW I'm liking the auto loader more and more. I like this Colt classic so much in 38 super that I went back to GOG to buy the one in 45 acp but they are out of stock.:( So I'm on stock watch and that's okay.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The grips on the Colt are not factory but Ebony wood by Eagle's Grips. The Eagle grips are more hand filling than the thinner factory grips. I'm glad I kept them in my parts box.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 38 super is one soft shooting round in the Government model. I shot standard 38 super as well as +P and could not feel a difference. Another thing about the 38 super is that it's the same length as the 45 acp. That way there is no filler in the mag to take up for the shorter round of the 9mm. One other thing of note the fired brass fell to my right side just inches from my feet so picking up brass was easy and out of 41 rounds fired I lost one piece of brass. I like this colt.:cool:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Inherited this Colt Super 38 back in 1989. Finding ammo was a problem, which is what got me into reloading! I haven't had it out in a while, so I think it's time. Thanks for the reminder! <br> It was a military competition pistol with a match grade barrel. The frame is from 1948, the slide from sometime later on (but still old). It's shoots like a competition gun.
<br>
Great looking Supers out there for sure. The cartridge is nothing to sneeze at either. Underwood and others market a 124 gr at 1,350 fps, with 500 + ft. lbs of energy. and in an all steel full sized handgun, recoil is very manageable.

Long Live the Super 38!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got an E-mail yesterday from GOG saying they have the Colt Classic in stock 45 acp, (3 of them). I ordered one. I think the price of $725 for a Colt Government model much like the pre 70 series is hard to beat. After I ordered mine I went back to GOG too see how many were left and it said 0.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi, All;
For the folks that like the mild recoil of the .38 super round, and its many good qualities, packed into a 1911 size pistol. You might like to try the .38 ACP cartridge. It came along a bit before the .38 super, has the exact physical dimensions as the .38 Super, and will function in the .38 Super pistol, with even milder recoil.

Sut

1 - 16 of 16 Posts