Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Ha! Whippersnapper. I remember DOS and IBM punch cards.

Hector
Ha! I remember analog computers, ferrite core memory and when bootstrapping a computer meant throwing parity switches on the back of the cabinet 👨‍🦳

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
And 8086 processors. Not to mention COBOL and Fortran. They fed us that crap at UC Berkeley.

The biggest night school waste of my time ever.
Yep and when there were ONLY mainframe computers and cell phones were still a few decades away. Those damn punch card programs. At Ga Tech, one of my frat brothers was an IT major. EVERYONE on campus had to take one basic program course with those damn punch cards. One of two buildings open 24/7, he still couldn't get enough access to run his programs for his major courses; so he programmed the mainframe to calculate Pi to the last digit. That mainframe ran all night until they unplugged it and went through cases of paper. The school finally reserved explicit times for IT majors only. (A little anarchy now and again is a good thing)

• Haha
Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
And then there were slide rules...
Personal calculators came out right around the time I graduated HS, in the early 70s. They were the size of a textbook and had few functions: add, subtract, multiply, divide and did squares and square root. Weren't allowed to use them in classes and IIRC cost several hundred dollars!

John

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My first calculator was in my sophomre year of college; I could not afford the HP with reverse Polish Notation, so it was a TI @$800. Today I can buy something at Walmart for $10 that does more

Reactions: jpr

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
My first calculator was in my sophomre year of college; I could not afford the HP with reverse Polish Notation, so it was a TI @$800. Today I can buy something at Walmart for $10 that does more
SAVE YOUR MONEY ! ! ! Go to Dollar Tree and get the shirt pocket 2-3/4" X 4-3/4" Electronic Scientific Calculator for $1 + tax. I has about 32+ functions on it. I'm holding it in my hand. Trigonometry, statistics, Binary, Octal, Hexadecimal, complex numbers, algebraic functions to 10 digits.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts