Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're strolling down Scott Street in Beaufort's Historic District on your way down to Bay Street, and happen to glance off to your right, you'll see this little garden. It's easy to miss if your mind is wandering (which mine seems to do every time I'm there). It gives the illusion of coolness on even the hottest of days. I can't remember exactly where it is...I'll guess somewhere between Greene Street and Port Republic Street, but I could be a block or two off.

It's one of those little spots where, if you have any sense of history or place, you can't not photograph it.

Just as an aside, I have friends from childhood who live in the Historic District. Beaufort has a strange effect on me. When I turn down off Boundary Street (Hwy 21) heading into their neighborhood, my car seems to slow down on its own. Or something makes me lift my foot off the gas maybe. In certain spots, including their home, it's like I've gone back in time to the 1800s when their home was built. They live more or less right around the corner from the magnificent old house called Tidalholm where The Great Santini and The Big Chill were filmed. It's a beautiful neighborhood, with its tabby walls (some built in the 1700s) and magnificent old oaks, some of which I'm sure have been there since before we were a nation.

When I visit them and stay in their house, no matter how many days I stay, I never even crank my car up again until it's time to leave. Silly, I guess, but it's like I don't want to break the spell.

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
My dad is buried in Beaufort in the National Cemetery........While not as amazing as Arlington, it is something to behold; The Mass 84 (movie Glory), and a host of others from a wide variety of wars.............pretty quiet walking among the oaks and tombstones................

1 - 3 of 3 Posts