Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Fiocchi .44 special ammo, and about 1:6 of the rounds from a quick sampling of the box show what looks like thin brass creeping up the bullet. Anyone seen this before? Are these unsafe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely seems like thin brass. I have a video that shows it more clearly, but can’t seem to upload it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Looks like some of the coating was shaved off when the bullet was seated.
Yep seems to me that is just the lead showing not covered by whatever coating they use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mac23 and series guy are spot on. I was going to say it appeared bullets weren't perfectly straight during seating. (Don't ask me how I know what that looks like.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! On closer examination it does look like it’s lead showing through scraped off coating.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
If you properly relieve the case mouth before inserting a pill, that won't happen, ever. I use what is called a VLD case mouth chamfering tool (Lyman). Allows you to insert a pill painlessly.

·
Registered
17,213 Posts
His problem was with factory ammo
I realize that and it was poor prep factory or not. The 'factory' loads ammo just like you and I do but at much faster pace. You have to relieve the case mouth, especially with lead pills. FMJ, not so much because the gilding is harder than lead. I'd never consider inserting a pill with an oblique case mouth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, should I have any concern firing the few that are like this? From the description it doesn't sound like it to me, but I'm here for your expertise not my guess work :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts