Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that maybe someone can shed some light on. A few years ago I picked up a model 14-4 at a local GS for a price that made me about rip my back pocket off getting my wallet out. The owner had just traded for it and he said that he would let it go cheap because the cylinder and barrel had been re-blued. I didn't care and still don't because I bought it for a shooter. The bluing on the cylinder and barrel are definitely different then the frame, it has a purple hue to it, which might lead one to think it was re-blued because of holster wear. The thing is it appears to be original and the barrel pin does not appear to have been removed. Like I said I really don't care because I bought it for a shooter, I'm just curious. The picture isn't the greatest but let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
21,086 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The picture isn't enough for me to tell if it has been refinished or not. Maybe someone else can see things I don't. I can see the purple on the cylinder. That can be an indicator of a refinish but I have seen purple cylinders on factory finished guns...not often, but it does happen. If the dealer said it had been refinished, it likely was.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
the important thing is does it shoot straight and nice?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The picture isn't enough for me to tell if it has been refinished or not. Maybe someone else can see things I don't. I can see the purple on the cylinder. That can be an indicator of a refinish but I have seen purple cylinders on factory finished guns...not often, but it does happen. If the dealer said it had been refinished, it likely was.
Thank you for the response, the picture really doesn't show the color variation that well. The dealer wasn't real sure on the fact that it had been reblued but assumed that it had been since there was a difference in color. I have an older Ruger M77 rifle where the receiver has a purple hue like this but the barrel is a deep blue. I had just never seen this on a S&W. The barrel pin doesn't look like it has ever been removed which leads me to think that this is the original finish. All this said it really doesn't matter to me either way since I bought it for a shooter and does it ever shoot. I am just curious if anyone had ever seen this with a S&W.

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
The purple cast to blued metal comes from the combination of the alloy of steel (I believe nickle content is the main cause) and the salt bluing chemicals used.

Get better pictures. You may well have an original factory gun, cylinder and all... Take the photos in shaded sunlight and use a real digital camera not just a phone if you can. Get sharp focus.

·
Super Moderator
14,083 Posts
For reference, this post shows my factory new (in 1977) Dan Wesson (different manufacturer) with a plum colored frame:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For reference, this post shows my factory new (in 1977) Dan Wesson (different manufacturer) with a plum colored frame:

I was 90% sure that it's the original finish and you all have just made me more convinced of that. I just had never ran across this in a S&W and am curious of what the group thinks. By the way, you have a very nice Dan Wesson there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know if this applies here or not, but I have seen this blue to plum come about due to age. In my case on a Leupold scope and a Para Ordnance P14 limited. Glad you have a good shooter. The 14's area lot of fun and a good "teacher".
Like you mentioned, I have Leupold VX2 3X9 that I bought back in 1998 that changed to plum. As I understand Leupold would have exchange it but I like it as it is. Kind of like me just showing its age. Yes it is a good one to teach with and I plan on using it with the grandkids when they get older.

·
Registered
31,533 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! A while back I bought a re-blued 6" 28-2. You could tell by the side plate edges being more rounded and there are copper/red spots on the crane and near the pin latch for the cylinder. I had a my gunsmith check it out initially because I thought it might be rust. He explained that the color variations are caused by inconsistent temperatures during the re-bluing process. Bought mine as a shooter and have had no complaints. A few pics of my re-blued 28-2.

·
Registered
28,307 Posts
One of my HK P7s has a plum slide - it is due to a different metal content and what happened after heat treating.

Reactions: Ks_Shooter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I came across a discussion started by RockyG on 11/04/12 titled "I would like to know more about blue patina" in which he mentioned the same condition with a model 27. I took another good look at the barrel pin and where the barrel and frame meet and if the barrel had been removed for rebluing who ever did it did one heck of a job. Anyway I love my little two tone beauty just the way she is and she sure has made for some very interesting conversation. Thank you so much guys for making a new guy feel welcome. I am looking forward for future discussions.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Hey K,

Welcome to S&W,

Yes. S&W had some bluing issues, in certain years.

They blued the cylinders in one tank, the frames in another....

I have one, that I turned into a PPC revolver & re blued....

Cylinder was PURPLE! LOL

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts