Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read these results and recommendations from the Strasbourg tests where they recorded the amount of time it took 168lb goats to die from different handgun ammo and calibers? Kinda cruel but real world scientifically controlled experiments on the efficacy of various ammo types kill times. Eye opening results disproving many myths (to me) about true stopping power.http://guninstructor.net/Strasborg_Tests.pdf http://guninstructor.net/Strasborg_Tests.pdf

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
So if you shoot goats, they die. Unfortunately, this data is outdated. New bullet design and consideration of actual shooting situations changed opinions. The FBI has just recommended, and adopted, the use of the 9mm over more powerful, larger caliber rounds. True, some of this consideration is due to excess wear in pistols and shooter capabilities, but the lethality of the modern 9mm was determined to be adequate for most situations.

This test would have been more interesting if Taliban were used instead of goats. Maybe in the next round...

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of good, friendly, knowledgeable, friendly folks here. This test shows the huge difference between killing power & stopping power. A well-placed shot from a .22 will kill a 2,000 lb. bull if he's standing still but if he's charging you a .30-06 seems pretty light. As a farm kid @ butchering time we dropped a lot of beef cows w/ .22's (often .22 shorts) & I know 2 people who killed black bears w/ .22 pistols (shot down the ear canal)... I also know a guy missing half of his foot because he flubbed a shot w/ a .30-30 on a penned hog. A friend dropped a standing grizzly bear w/ 1 shot (.375 magnum), the next day his son & him shot a smaller one walking 8 times w/ identical rifles before it went down. Shot placement is king & even the biggest handgun is lighter than a decent rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are later studies by people that do go along with the goat test and it is very interesting reading. Dr. Michael Courtney and his wife are both PHD's and do modern day ballistic testing and reporting. I think the wife does work for the military. Their findings are not discussed on the internet gun forums for some reason. They use electronic monitoring and other modern means besides ballistic gel and their findings pretty much indicate all the standard beliefs being spread around today to be not true. They prove why the .357 magnum was so effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
There are later studies by people that do go along with the goat test and it is very interesting reading. Dr. Michael Courtney and his wife are both PHD's and do modern day ballistic testing and reporting. I think the wife does work for the military. Their findings are not discussed on the internet gun forums for some reason. They use electronic monitoring and other modern means besides ballistic gel and their findings pretty much indicate all the standard beliefs being spread around today to be not true. They prove why the .357 magnum was so effective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specifics would be interesting. But in the end, poking a traumatic hole in an adversary with a bullet launcher will yield expected results only if placement of the projectile takes out critical structures or arteries. Placement remains King. So, get to the range and practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, this subject surfaces every once in a while on the internet gun forums.

I remember the hubbub when this first surfaced. It gained some true believers the same way the MJ12 UFO papers and alien autopsy film did.

I seem to remember that a statement was released by some federal agency that there was no evidence that such an event ever occurred.

No documentation has ever surfaced that could substantiate whether this goat roping event ever occurred. It was very convenient that the "results" seemed to substantiate the preferences of some enthusiasts.

The fact that the "results" are sometimes quoted as being what would be expected by some folks, to corroborate their theories, doesn't exactly lend it validity of its own.

Of course, it may be possible that the video documentation and physical evidence is carefully secreted in some government vault next to the crashed saucers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts