Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the SD9VE. Has anyone had an issue storing loaded magazines? Would the spring wear out over time or is it safe on the spring to keep mag fully loaded over a long term. Thanks

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
If it makes you feel any better take the old soldier's solution; leave out every 15th round (i.e. load 28 in a 30 round magazine).

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I read somewhere.....Magazines from WWII, filled with ammo for 50 years, worked perfectly fine. The ammo, if stored properly, without moisture getting to them, fired every time!!!! Still good!!! kjdfjemndweiweinp Bob

·
Registered
229 Posts
From what I've read, it's compression/decompression repeated many, many times that weakens springs. Keeping mags loaded (compressed) should not weaken your springs.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
Springs weaken by "work", which as mentioned above is constantly compressing and decompressing

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Last year while going through some old shooting stuff in a duffel bag. i found two model 39 9mm magazine loaded to the max. My model 39 was stolen in 1983 and never recovered. When i found these magazines i had just purchased another model 39 " finally " that means that these magazines had been loaded for over 35 years.. Well I loaded them into my replacement model 39 and the ammo shot fine and the magazines worked perfect. And are still working .

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am no expert .. not even close but

I had been told by someone whose opinion I respect that springs wear and fatigue as a result of springing. Keeping them compressed or uncompressed has no effect and its actually better for the spring to be compressed rather than unloaded and reloaded. Its the act of compressing and uncompressing that actually causes the fatigue. Having said that .. I dont really give it much thought. I dont shot my plastic 9mm much but its been loaded since i bought it and always works

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Direct from Smith & Wesson. They recommend rotating them every 3 days. That seems a bit excessive to me. Maybe SD9VE mags are more fragile? 🏻

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 1990 or so P85 magazines have been loaded since purchased new. All works as it should with zero fte or FL. Love this brick!

·
Premium Member
17,260 Posts
A spring's worst enemy is rust. It creates weak areas in the spring that become more prone to metal fatigue.

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

·
Registered
41 Posts
A friend's uncle bought a house in the 1970s and in the attic we found a military bag that among other things had a 1911 with a loaded mag, later we fired the gun only the last round in the mag stove pipe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts