Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And sure enough, they'd seen me coming. Just in the case was a nickel 581 (no dash). It was wearing a set of Hogue monogrips, and they'd boogered up the nickel, but the price was right, so I bought it home with me. I needed another 4", 357 like I needed a hole in my head, but that didn't stop me.

A little work with some Flitz, and a little more with some Ren Wax. Toss away the Hogues, and replace them with a nice set of football targets that I found in a junk drawer, and I guess it's presentable.

581.jpg

581a.jpg

It's not perfect, for the price (less than $400) I don't guess I got taken too bad. It's already got the "M" for the recall, although I admit that I don't know a lot about that. Very nice trigger.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
And sure enough, they'd seen me coming. Just in the case was a nickel 581 (no dash). It was wearing a set of Hogue monogrips, and they'd boogered up the nickel, but the price was right, so I bought it home with me. I needed another 4", 357 like I needed a hole in my head, but that didn't stop me.

A little work with some Flitz, and a little more with some Ren Wax. Toss away the Hogues, and replace them with a nice set of football targets that I found in a junk drawer, and I guess it's presentable.

View attachment 430461

View attachment 430463

It's not perfect, for the price (less than $400) I don't guess I got taken too bad. It's already got the "M" for the recall, although I admit that I don't know a lot about that. Very nice trigger.
The M recall was some guns locked up. I have a 686 that never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The M recall was some guns locked up. I have a 686 that never had a problem.
Thanks. Now that you mention it, I had heard that.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey CB,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Finishing up '19 real STRONG!! :D

Later, Mark

·
Registered
22,189 Posts
Congrats on a nice score! Looking forward to the upcoming range report.:)

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
“Ali-Babba’s House O Guns” is my tongue-in-cheek name for my favorite gun store, Green Top, off I-95 between Richmond and Ashland, Va. It's (with a wink and a nod) the home of "the forty thieves.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nice find and clean up, but I want a crack at your junk box!
You know, it's funny, but I literally have no idea where that set of stocks came from. They just sort of showed up in the drawer one day. I can't imagine what gun I took them off of, or what I replaced them with.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
FYI some more detail on the "M" recall. Copied from another forum,

I read the recent post regarding firearm recalls and warnings. My S&W 686. which I bought in 1986 was apparently recalled in 1989 due to cylinder binding if one shot .357 loads through them often. I never knew about this recall and have never had a problem. I haven't shot the gun too much, maybe 2000 rounds total in the 18 years I have had it. 99.999% .357 loads with very few .38 specials.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts