Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some free time this morning so I decided to stop at a couple of pawnshops and a favorite old gun shop. I’ve been hearing a lot of stories and reading posts (like the one from jspick) so I didn’t know what to expect. This was the first real chance I’ve had this year to go to some gun places and really look so I guess I wasn’t totally prepared for the new prices. It seems that all guns are now made of gold! I only saw a few Smith & Wesson revolvers and nothing was cheap. One of the pawnshops had a couple in average used condition, a 686 (4-inch) and a 629 Classic (6-inch full lug) priced at 699.00 and 999.00 respectively. The gun shop had a mid 1970s Model 17 in average used condition, certainly nothing special, you could see it had been used a lot (but taken care of). I don’t think it was worth the 899.00 they were asking. If this keeps up I might have to look for something else to collect. I understand that you can still find a good deal on a Hi-Point if you look hard enough!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You can still find better deals than you mentioned. They have went up but if you go look in guns america shooters exchange guns international and a few of the auction sites like gunbroker auction arms etc you can beat the prices you mentioned pretty easy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Way too high. Cherrys has a nice 686 on there web-site now for 550 Of course ordering out of state adds 50 bucks or so to the landed cost. Print out the page and use it to hammer your pawn shop down. It's a buyers market.

Boats

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think it is a sellers market because of Obama. If the ammo/gun scare ever gets over with then it will be a buyers market like it should be in a recession.

John

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Give this guy a call, 518-766-5992. He has a whole shop full of Smith's all very good, including a 686 4-inch (well under the price the pawn shop has), and at least on M29 and a 629.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I suppose its an example of "a high tide raises all boats" but some of what I've seen is just unreasonable. There's a pawn shop here that has a somewhat ratty post war 5-inch M&P for $600. A 4-inch M&P from the mid 50's that is more brown than blue sits beside it in the case and is priced at $450. Also there's a Model 49 there with an overall finish that literally looks like its been "dragged behind a truck" and with the trigger guard caved in and misshapen in a very unsightly way for $395.

Even more mystifying are guns like a worn garden variety Iver Johnson "Sealed Eight" .22 revolver I saw at a recent gun show for $225, or a very average Remington 1100 12 gauge for $650. The worst had to be the cut down Winchester Model 37 A single shot 12 gauge for $175. Seems like one sees a lot of guns that aren't even hot sellers at present yet feature jacked up price tags.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts