Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got this little Stevens 87B about a year ago and it was extremely dirty. It would also jam with the locking bolt in the open mode as the detent ball and spring were missing. Finally got it fixed and really like this old gun. It has been soaked and sonic cleaned and and trigger and bolt polished. No scoring or marks anywhere and the springs replaced. Shot it some more Friday (Black Friday) and thinking may be more the "Click-Clack Sound of the action. Did find out that bolt will stay open until trigger released. Did need the locking bolt working as the will allow gun to function in semi-auto pushed in and single shot if pulled out. Just a lot of fun.When shooting it there is a slight delay from time shot fired to time the bolt actually starts moving to reload (may be just the click clack action deceiving). It does have some character and has been used but overall is very nice shooter. Glad is fully functional now.
thumbnail6.jpg
thumbnail8.jpg
thumbnail5.jpg

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Rodney,

That is a fine old Stevens!

Nothing like a good BRICK of .22 Fun at the Range!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
It's surprising what a little TLC will do for an old "dirty" 22 rifle! I worked on 22 rifles when I had my shop and they were ALL in need of a goos scrubbing! Good shoot'n Pard!

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it might need a good cleaning, however if it suits you, who am I to argue?
It has been soaked and sonic cleaned and and trigger and bolt polished. No scoring or marks anywhere and the springs replaced. Shot it some more Friday (Black Friday)and thinking may be more the "Click-Clack Sound of the action. Did find out that bolt will stay open until trigger released. Did need the locking bolt working as the will allow gun to function in semi-auto pushed in and single shot if pulled out. Just a lot of fun.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I have two of them but under different names the Savage 6A and Western Arms 86. Great gun and love to shoot it. Try to get parts every time I see one in a gun shop in sad condition I buy it just for the parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts