Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has joined the junior SSCA, and we are looking into options on making her rifle lighter for quicker acquisition to targets. Does anyone have the weight on the stock handguard (thinking about switching to free float)? The 15-22 seems to be almost perfect for SSC. Also has anyone tried the Effin-A compensator on a 15-22 (again quicker target acquisition is my goal).

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
There isnt enough gas produced by the 22 to make a compensator effective, and there isnt any muzzle rise when shooting a 15-22 anyways

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hello,,,

I'm not trying to be snarky here,,,
But your money would be better invested,,,
If you bought the same dollar equivalent in ammo for practice.

Please don't get started on accessories to enhance accuracy,,,
Until she has shot enough to determine if they are even necessary.

There lies madness. :eek:

Aarond

·
Registered
23,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum, lots of good, friendly & helpful folks here. A lighter forearm might help a bit but the added weight of a compensator would offset it & as said above gain nothing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm not trying to be snarky here,,,
But your money would be better invested,,,
If you bought the same dollar equivalent in ammo for practice.

Please don't get started on accessories to enhance accuracy,,,
Until she has shot enough to determine if they are even necessary.

There lies madness. :eek:

Aarond

My old boss said the same thing and added...all the bells and whistles will improve a shooters score by 10 to 15%. the money is better spent on ammo which means more pratice! From what I have seen at matchs...it is the truth.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
One of the problems with too light a rifle is it can be too fast and it's easy to swing past targets and they can be a little more unsteady. I have a 15-22 without the flash supressor. I can't imagine that changing handguards would make much of a difference. The only thing I added was a different pistol grip and a red dot sight. I think I'd save the money on the handguard and buy more ammo for practice!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't looking for accuracy simply lightening up the rifle for her to make faster acquisition of targets (keeping in mind she is 12, not an adult with adult strength). The 15-22 is extremely light anyway, just looking for a bit more. As for ammo, I would buy more if it was available, it simply isn't out here, and she only has about 1000 rounds left of the 5000 round brick I bought her. She shoots regularly and is fairly well regarded at the range; we receive many comments on her marksmanship.

It sounds as if there isn't much to be done to lighten it up though, so thanks anyway. If anyone has a bead on ammo or wants to sell me some at realistic (.03 to .04 per round) prices - let me know.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts