Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure where else to put this, so I’ll try here. In sortin my .45 brass in preparation for a marathon reloading session, I stumbled across two steel .45 acp cases head stamped TW (presumbly for Twin Cities) and dated 54 and 56. I’ve seen similar from WCC and others from War II when brass was in short supply, but never from the 50s. Anyone know why we were packaging 45 in steel cases at that point in time?

·
Registered
16,277 Posts
Maybe just to use up inventory?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I shot a ton of that stuff a Colt lightweight commander way back when. I even reloaded the steel cases. I was lot poorer back then. but it all worked.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
About 1961 when I was in the Army I was on a detail at the AMU sorting fired cases, we had large crates full of empties, we were using magnets to sort out the steel.

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
I didn't know they were produced that late. It couldn't have been earlier inventory to get rid of as the heads were date stamped. When I had my first .45 ans a 1 BR apartment I had a Lee Loader and tried to reload some steel cases. Talk about breaking an anvil with a rubber hammer!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Cleaning out dad's safer and he had 2 boxes of steel case, steel bullet. On the outside of the box it said "reboxed 1944." That ought to be sitting in my sister's safe. She got the Norinco 1911.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know they were produced that late. It couldn't have been earlier inventory to get rid of as the heads were date stamped. When I had my first .45 ans a 1 BR apartment I had a Lee Loader and tried to reload some steel cases. Talk about breaking an anvil with a rubber hammer!
When I stumble across these (rarely) I pull them out of the stack out of fear for my resizing die 😉. Probably won’t hurt, but still doesn’t resize well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts