Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Read the set of the 'Living Dead' in Georgia? is getting bad flack. Those people look like me after a hard day in the field. bet they smell as bad as I do too.:D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
That WWII Steel Cased .45 ACP was extremely reliable. It was primed with Corrosive primers but even today about 75 years later it usually fire
and be accurate. Just have to clean your guns.
Back when I was newly married and a lot poorer. I had a Colt lightweight commander in 45acp. I bought boxes and boxes of the the steel cased Remington -UMC 45 acp military ammo and shot it. Reloaded it too. Never a problem..........Now days only brass for me.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Back when I was newly married and a lot poorer. I had a Colt lightweight commander in 45acp. I bought boxes and boxes of the the steel cased Remington -UMC 45 acp military ammo and shot it. Reloaded it too. Never a problem..........Now days only brass for me.
Won't do that with the Ruskie stuff. I do have one question, how do you apply a crimp to a steel case? With a LE Wilson die and a ball pein hammer maybe?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I use nothing but steel in my AKs. SKS, and other similar rifles.

Gee I wonder how many billions of rounds have been used in the billions of those rifles??;)

I sure am not gonna reload the stuff.

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Steel case junk is fine for an AK and that is about it. Why would you spend a buck for a good gun and shoot junk it. Makes no sense to me. I'm cheap but not that cheap.
I believe "Frugal" is the definition...:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
68 Posts
1: No, steel cases do not damage the barrel. Steel cases use a much softer metal than the barrel itself.

2: No, steel cases do not damage extractors. (See above). When extractors break while using brass cases, you certainly don't hear people saying "Don't use brass cases, they break extractors".

3: No, Bi-metal bullet jackets do not damage the barrel. (See #1).

4: No, current imported ammo (especially with the 9x19mm caliber) do not have steel cores if a magnet sticks to the bullet. (See #3). If the cores of any pistol round had steel in them, BATFE would not have allowed the ammo to be imported since the rounds would be considered armor piercing.

I've gone thru several thousand rounds of steel cased ammo from various Russian manufactures and the only problem I've had was a handful of failures to fire, and I've used 1K of Sellier & Bellot's steel cased Range Safe ammo with zero problems. (Hands down the S&B Range Safe 9mm was the best most reliable steel cased ammo I've ever shot out of my G19 practice gun).

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
1: No, steel cases do not damage the barrel. Steel cases use a much softer metal than the barrel itself.

2: No, steel cases do not damage extractors. (See above). When extractors break while using brass cases, you certainly don't hear people saying "Don't use brass cases, they break extractors".

3: No, Bi-metal bullet jackets do not damage the barrel. (See #1).

4: No, current imported ammo (especially with the 9x19mm caliber) do not have steel cores if a magnet sticks to the bullet. (See #3). If the cores of any pistol round had steel in them, BATFE would not have allowed the ammo to be imported since the rounds would be considered armor piercing.

I've gone thru several thousand rounds of steel cased ammo from various Russian manufactures and the only problem I've had was a handful of failures to fire, and I've used 1K of Sellier & Bellot's steel cased Range Safe ammo with zero problems. (Hands down the S&B Range Safe 9mm was the best most reliable steel cased ammo I've ever shot out of my G19 practice gun).

I don't know what your experience level is . Your a junior member here. However I have extensive experience in and with firearms and ammo. Both as a LEO Trainer, Civilian Trainer. Armorer, Gun Smith and Gun shop employee. I have seen more broken extractors, ejectors and problems with Steel Cased ammunition that I care to see. I tell everyone to stay away from steel cased ammo of any type. UNLESS your are prepared for a gun failure of some type. I teach- train people who's lives may depend on their firearm working every time. I see steel ammo as an potential problem in the safety and well being of a firearm .. and its shooter !

just my thoughts coming from years of factual data !!!

PS i have never seen a brass case break an extractor. Metal fatigue does !!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
What about steel cases for 223/556?
Is it problematic in bottle-necked rifle cartridges too?

·
Premium Member
16,684 Posts
I've been using steel cases ammo interchangeably in all my firearms. It fires and functions just like the cases made from other materials. I shoot Wolf steel cased ammo exclusively in my AR. 3 cases worth since I got the rifle. It does shoot dirty which is no problem as I keep my firearms cleaned after each range outing. The stuff just works well for me. It's just another example of actually using the product in question as opposed to drawing my conclusions solely from word of mouth.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts