Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a link to the reciprocity laws for carrying in different states? I've seen them in the past but can't find it right now. I've got to drive from Texas to Pennsylvania over Christmas and would like to know where I stand. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it out and it looks like I can make it all the way except for maybe West Virgina. I hope I was reading it right after checking what states honor what other states CCW. If I can't carry concealed in one of them I'll check to see what the laws are in just traveling with a pistol. I don't like traveling without one at least in the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Pennsylvania is surrounded by red from the South. Make sure you check it out before you go, that could ruin the Holidays for sure.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I certainly could put a damper on Christmas dinner! I'm not looking to necessarily carry concealed, I just want to be able to have one in the car for the road. You can bet I'll be checking the state laws very carefully.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea on the shotgun. Upon further investigation from the site you gave me, it appears I can legally conceal carry from Texas into Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and into West Virginia. I've got some time to research this and may email the officials in these states for some verification. I would be good to have a copy of their OK with me. I'll be checking in out very carefully in the next few weeks. Thanks again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
You're welcome Charlie, but double check, WV doesn't honor TX permits. If you have a non-resident from one of the states WV honors you will be good to go. I hear you can get a PA permit in 8 to 14 days. That will get you there all nice and legal, might be worth looking into.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/lice ... cation.asp

G

·
0 Posts
PDF isn't working on the computer I am on. So no idea if this is valid or not. But have you checked into getting a Utah CCL? I know they issue them to out of state residents. And their permits are good in the majority of states (except Oregon). But my oregon one isn't valid in too many places. So I am planning on sometime in future having both an Oregon and Utah permit.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice, guys! I checked into the PA non-resident license and it seems to be the easiest and best for my needs right now. I may look into obtaining more later just for the fun of it. PA non-resident license is so simple to obtain it's almost unbelieveable. Basically it just requires a one page application and your money. That will give me ability to carry in NH and WV (the one I need for my trip). Should get it back in a couple of weeks. lllfaaaa ijfpfnfna

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Charlie, again be careful, NH only recognizes Resident PA permits.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My daughter, grandson, & son-in-law just moved to Morgantown, W. Virginia. He actually works in Pennsylvania so that would probably be as far North as I would go. Your heads-up on the PA license fit my trip perfectly. If I ever go further North I'll do more investigating. NH does appear to recognize the PA license if I'm reading the "Who Honors My Permit" chart correctly. Then again, I may not be reading it correctly. :mrgreen:

Edit: I just revisited the site and understand what you're saying. NH does not reciprocate with TX and since I'm not a resident of PA, the PA license won't work in NH. I'm slow, but I usually eventually get there, Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Hey Charlie!

I'll be hunting in Fairmont, just south of Morgantown over Thanksgiving....

When will you be there?

Drew

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sometime during the Christmas holidays. I have not received the itenerary from the home boss yet. Are you going to be back there during Christmas? That's close enough to share a cold beer or something else to warm the body. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Christmas is probably not going to find me in West Virginia unfortunately....

We'll have to coordinate better next year!

Always a good time to pull a cork or two with a fellow forumite!

Drew

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As usual things are always subject to change around here! After doing the research, gettin' help from you folks, sending off for a PA. license (and receiving it in a little over a week!), ......................I'm now informed that we are flying to PA! I hate flying commercial! And I'll be unarmed. Oh well. klnflaianl nhvaoavo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts