Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure about my timing on getting into reloading. My library right now is one book, The Reloaders Bible by Don Geary. I want to know which of the reloading manuals to purchase. Pistol ammo will be my primary goal and I may do some deer hunting loads. The brass and a press are already here. I look forward to getting some good information from the members here. Thanks very much.

Stinger

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'd start with the Lyman Manual. It's pretty comprehensive.

Some of the manuals published by Bullet Makers are helpful, but if they don't make a bullet of that weight or type, it's not included.

Good Luck!

Drew

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stinger, I started a few months ago and as Sebago Son said Lyman 49th Edition and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee were recommended and very good. Good luck with your new hobby.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd go with the Lyman manual... it has lots of good information and more cast bullet loads than the others as well.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
33 Posts
as been mentioned, the Lyman manual and the Hodgdon site are good. If there's a brand of bullet you're fond of, I'd suggest their manual as well. I try to verify new loads from at least three different manuals because as you will learn, reloading is not an exact science and even starting and max loads from different manuals will vary, sometimes by quite a bit. I try to compare and start at the low end of the "middle of the road" manual. Same goes for anything you read on internet forums........verify info from another source(i.e. current load manual) before you consider it safe.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I like the Hornady Handbook available from Midway. Its got really good instructional info and loading data. What equipment do you have so far and what are you planning to reload?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts