Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My revolvers are all stainless. My only performance center model is my 625 PC. I thought it was going to be my favorite, but I can't believe how much I enjoy my 629-5.

All the crap people talk about MIM parts the trigger on my 629 is the best out of the bunch!

I really like the 5 inch full lug barrel. I loaded some light load 44 special rounds and the gun just became a tack driver. What a fun gun to shoot.

Those same light loads allow me to practice with my model 69 2 3/4.

The gun I'm most underwhelmed with is the model 65. The fixed sights are very difficult to pick up.

I'm waiting for my 686-4 to get back from the performance center. I'm hoping that it instills some more faith in the non MIM parts and square butt revolvers of old.

Out of the two optics I find myself enjoying the Vortex more than my Burris. Optics are very difficult to get use to but last week single handed I put together a group that really wowed me. 6 shots in one ragged hole from 12 yards. (see attached).

I'm very Glad I had an older friend teach me about reloading and about how fun revolvers can be.

From shooting semi autos and USPSA to learning the patience and art that shooting a revolver takes has got me wanting to shoot more and practice more and that's what this sport and this hobby is all about.

Have a great night.

Moe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,492 Posts
Very nice collection. Mine started out with a scandium framed revolver, then SS which was followed by the blued.:cool:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
How do you like full under lug vs tapered?

For me, that depends on the purpose for having it. Just for range time, the lugged barrel. To tame recoil, the lugged barrel. On my hip, all day, every day, tapered wins every time.

As a RO, I could carry whatever I wanted. We issued M19s and M15s. I usually carried a 15. I used a 4”, 686 in competition and decided I needed to carry it so bought myself a belt, holster, etc. About a week later was back with the K frame.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Obviously I'm not carrying any of the guns in my photos but I really don't notice much difference between barrel style. Don't notice much difference between 4 and 5" barrels either. Now when you get into the 6" - 8 3/8" guns you can definitely feel the weight out front.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,912 Posts
If properly done, Metal Injection Molding and Investment Casting can make stronger parts with much less waste than older forging techniques.

The parts certainly can look different, but in many cases they are better through all phases of manufacturing and later usage and wear.

Companies like Ruger have subsidiaries that manufacture investment cast and injection molded parts for other industries and other gun manufacturers.

The Ranger (US, Alabama) manufactured Walther PPK pistols of the 1980's had Pine Tree Castings manufactured frames.

·
Registered
19,428 Posts
My revolvers are all stainless. My only performance center model is my 625 PC. I thought it was going to be my favorite, but I can't believe how much I enjoy my 629-5.

All the crap people talk about MIM parts the trigger on my 629 is the best out of the bunch!

I really like the 5 inch full lug barrel. I loaded some light load 44 special rounds and the gun just became a tack driver. What a fun gun to shoot.

Those same light loads allow me to practice with my model 69 2 3/4.

The gun I'm most underwhelmed with is the model 65. The fixed sights are very difficult to pick up.

I'm waiting for my 686-4 to get back from the performance center. I'm hoping that it instills some more faith in the non MIM parts and square butt revolvers of old.

Out of the two optics I find myself enjoying the Vortex more than my Burris. Optics are very difficult to get use to but last week single handed I put together a group that really wowed me. 6 shots in one ragged hole from 12 yards. (see attached).

I'm very Glad I had an older friend teach me about reloading and about how fun revolvers can be.

From shooting semi autos and USPSA to learning the patience and art that shooting a revolver takes has got me wanting to shoot more and practice more and that's what this sport and this hobby is all about.

Have a great night.

Moe

I don't see 'one ragged hole'!!! The bullet holes have to be touching.....for 'one ragged hole'........not some coating on the target ripped off the target! Huh01nvonjvila Bob

·
Registered
19,428 Posts
Now.....that's the way ya' do it!!!!! And....you weren't on top of the target, too!!!! I am truly impressed at 20 yds.. Looks like you've got the right set up! jjjpnfwelldoneIs that a custom target revolver? Very nice! Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts