Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others may know of this very informative website, but I just discovered it while looking for something else. Highly knowledgeable discussion of the different grades of Sambar stag by someone who seems to know what he's talking about.

I've always been partial to stag, even though I've had a couple of SA Colts with ivory. But I actually prefer the look of stag, & have discovered by trial & error how difficult it is to find ready-made grips that fit well. I bought & returned 3 different pairs before finding these now on an Outdoorsman, & the fit of them isn't perfect.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These also have something of a "coke-bottle" profile, but most of the palm-swell is on the left, not the right where it does the most good.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
I have messed around with white tail antlers and they are extremely hard. When you drill or grind it, it smells like when the dentist drills a tooth.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have messed around with white tail antlers and they are extremely hard.
Sack Peterson, whose site this is, says he's now using elk, because Sambar has become so hard to obtain; but he thinks the elk is as good, & much cheaper.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I've always been partial to stag, even though I've had a couple of SA Colts with ivory. But I actually prefer the look of stag...
Stags have a unique look. I like sambar and elk antler stag. Here are a couple of photos of my Pre-36 3-inch with sambar stags, and my 36-1 with elk antler stags by Patrick Grashorn. I like the way sambar ages over the years. Haven't had the elk antler stags long enough to know how they'll age.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Stags have a unique look. I like sambar and elk antler stag. Here are a couple of photos of my Pre-36 3-inch with sambar stags, and my 36-1 with elk antler stags by Patrick Grashorn. I like the way sambar ages over the years. Haven't had the elk antler stags long enough to know how they'll age.

View attachment 479179

View attachment 479180

View attachment 479181
I'll bet the elk grips darken a bit, and the white will yellow, though I like the looks of them now with bright white and medium brown bark

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll bet the elk grips darken a bit, and the white will yellow, though I like the looks of them now with bright white and medium brown bark
Sack's website has "darkening stag" in the index, but that page is dead. I once tried to "age" new ivory grips by soaking them in tea, but the results weren't good.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
And a much newer set on my customized Model 28-2.

I think a lot of the aging or yellowing of the stocks involves handling and exposure to the elements. The SA was an everyday revolver for a couple of years. The Model 22-4 is my EDC since I got it. The stocks on the Model 28-2 are new and have spent way too much time in storage.

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts