Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long ago, possibly late 50s, our county sheriff (Texas panhandle) gave mother a 38 revolver and some “special ammunition” for it. She was a news reporter and covered a hard beat in Amarillo. I no longer have the pistol or the ammunition but as an impressionable youth was intrigued by his description of the three bullet stacked arrangement. Idea was if you shot in the neighborhood of a malefactor the three bullets would separate giving you about a 1 foot spread at 20 feet.
Question time: can anybody tell me more about this odd load, or is this just the fevered imaginings of an old fart who spends too much time reading loading manuals. I recall it was three short wadcutters that together looked kind of like a DEWC bullet that nested together.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Back in the 70’s a few of us played with some home made stacked wad cutters like you described. We would cut de wad cutters and then load them up stacked. We tried with 2,3 and 4 pieces and also tried loads with rounds balls. Accuracy was horrible and “patterns” were very inconsistent. Past 10-12 feet they spread so bad it didn’t make sense. We figured a 50 gr bullet wasn’t going to do much damage, but we had fun trying. Even tried cutting some partially apart so they would stay together longer. Didn’t work either.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Saw some self defense 410 rounds with 3 buckshot weight disks and 12 BB sized pellets, but they have a lot more room & payload capacity than a 38

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
My experience is very similar to etruett's, zilch accuracy & almost total lack of penetration. Cute idea that didn't work.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I tried it but limited myself to only two wadcutters. Like others, I would cut a DEWC in half and load the two pieces. At powder burn distance they worked but not beyond. I stayed with full power WC loads in 38 Specials.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Long ago, possibly late 50s, our county sheriff (Texas panhandle) gave mother a 38 revolver and some “special ammunition” for it. She was a news reporter and covered a hard beat in Amarillo. I no longer have the pistol or the ammunition but as an impressionable youth was intrigued by his description of the three bullet stacked arrangement. Idea was if you shot in the neighborhood of a malefactor the three bullets would separate giving you about a 1 foot spread at 20 feet.
Question time: can anybody tell me more about this odd load, or is this just the fevered imaginings of an old fart who spends too much time reading loading manuals. I recall it was three short wadcutters that together looked kind of like a DEWC bullet that nested together.
You can load 3 number 1 buck pellets in a Speer shot capsule and at 15' you have about a 3" group. It's like getting hit by 3 22 magnum rounds at once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts