Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doing some "cleaning" around here, pulled these two out for a wipedown.. a couple of Springfield 87M's... aka the "baby Garand" total production is really kinda unknown, ( springfield has no remaining records of this model, so who knows how many were made?)
intresting little .22 rumored to have been submited as military training rifles but rejected for that use..

one was my grandfathers, and one is mine... both from the 40's and numbered # 73 and #82 respectfully..

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
Well, I have to say that I've never heard of those. Would it be possible to seee a pic of the action? Does it load and feed like the Garand?

I'm off to Google land....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they kinda feed like the Garand, about 8 pounds and ballanced well, semi auto, or manual bolt, or single shot... ( the charging handle locks into a recess stopping the action from cycling there by makeing it a single shot, releasing the charging handle and manualy cycling the bolt makes it a "bolt action" or by leaving the charging handle out it's an auto )
they are tube fed, from the front of the rifle...15 rounds of LR 17 of longs or 21 rounds of shorts...

action shots..
bolt normal..

bolt locked back..

bolt locked forward for single shot..

"gills"...

( this was a feature of the gun to help keeping down the fouling buildup often caused by .22 ammo .. hence the nickname "gill guns" the were also called "click-clack" guns, because the action would stay open after fireing untill the trigger was released, kinda odd wouldn't ya say?)

And yes I do come up with the weirdest things..... :roll:

And on another side note, #73 was my grandfathers,and one of the first guns I ever shot,, it's one of the ones that had been in the house fire, and this is how it looked when I got it back....

So you know I'll never be getting rid of this one.. :shock:
PS.. still shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts