Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "Tactical Response" to finally getting my promotion was to pay down some debt and load the ol' CC back up again with a hefty (as in all stainless steel hefty) sum. I waited, of course, as many of my coworkers were furloughed to mitigate the dive in business. But as they can more people and burden me with their responsibilities, my job security -- and my stress -- increase. What happens when I'm stressed? I buy guns. It was the perfect storm.

Two years ago, I drove all the way up to the Kittery Trading Post in Maine, which is a 3+ hour drive from me, after calling ahead to confirm that they had a couple of these in stock. "TRP Operator in Tactical Gray" as it's called. "Oh yes, we have those, I'm looking at them right now." ... "Excellent! I'll be right up!"

(3+ hours later)

Me: "Hello, I don't see any of the gray TRP Operators. I was told you had some?"

"Yearp, we got this here Range Officer in gray... and this Operator in green."

Me: "It's this one." points to the black TRP Operator "But in gray."

... "Well, we got this here Operator in black."

Me: "Bye!" drives all the way home and circles back to this beauty 2 years later

This marks my 4.5th 1911 (.5 for the S&W 945) and my 3rd Springfield 1911. People can say what they will about this company, but my first handgun was a Springfield 1911 back when I was in high school. It's been nice to revisit the brand with a top of the line model.

I wasn't expecting the stimulus to drop right after purchasing this, so it's already paid off. I figured that meant I deserved a bonus round (for the economy, of course), so I ordered something additional of the S&W variety -- will post pics of that in the coming weeks, assuming my next background check doesn't take ten years. At four days with this one, it's the longest I've ever had to wait for a callback.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Of all the 1911's I have owned the TRP was my absolute favorite and one of only 2 guns I really regret selling. Stupid move. They are TIGHT and mine was just awesome in every way. Good luck and nice score. Mine was stainless and I will try and locate one of my early targets with that gun.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I rented that exact gun once in SC at a range while visiting my folks - quite a tackdriver, even with 230 ball............

Reactions: F-Grade Art

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's begging to be shot, that's for sure. Just burrows into your hand -- literally. This frontstrap checkering is some of the most aggressive I've ever held. The girlfriend doesn't like it, but I kinda love it. Maybe I'm a masochist. Anyway, 1911s have always suited me, but I've been very pampering toward the ones I've owned. Something about an immaculate blued finish, for example... fun to shoot, but more like jewelry. The TRP, however, looks and feels like it means business (of the operating variety). I don't want to huck it out of a moving vehicle or launch it with a trebuchet, but I also don't feel like it will be a Safe Queen in a million years.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
I also loved the weight and grip (and being LH, the ambi safety is nice) and it shot great

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I LOVED the agressive texturing and you certainly don't need to baby it. Sure you don't want to abuse it but it was my carry for over 2 years easy.

But... if like in the movies a bad guy had the drop on me and said "throw your gun on the ground over there" he would just have to take the shot! I ain't throwing that TRP anywhere!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Alright I found the target. I have never before or since been able to replicate this but .. that is 21 rounds at 7 yds. This is going back I guess around 10 years?? I could still see then.

My wife was with me and we just kept laughing saying I must be missing the paper after each mag change. Soon after this my home alarm went off and the police were summoned. I still had the target out on the pool table when they arrived to an open door and empty house. When I got the call from ADT and made my way home they were still inside. First thing they did after I let them know I was the home owner and gave proof was start talking about the target and then we got into talking shooting and they must have hung out 30 minutes. Good guys and it was a nice ice breaker.

That is the only gun I was ever in all my years of shooting able to do that with. So sure it was heavy but wasnt bad in an IWB and I dont carry a gun because its convineint I carry the one I am pretty sure I can raise and fire and be pretty sure I will hit exactly where I will the bullets to go. That was the gun.

Mine was non rail .. kind of a snob about 1911's and rails :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice! Similarly, my best performance with a firearm has been with 1911s (two in particular that I own). I was brought up on them, so the ergonomics and controls always click. But when you get a nice one, they certainly meet your user-error halfway and then some. I adore the precision of these weapons, to boot with the functionality in a defensive situation. I'm with you on the weight, in that regard. I've carried some heavy full-sized guns, ranging from an IWB to shoulder holster, and they never seem to bother me. It's a comforting weight that reminds me I'm operable should the SHTF... and that I can't walk into the post office.

Frankly, I've never sat well with the idea of owning a weapon like this, familiarizing yourself with it, training ad nauseam, and not carrying it. If it's your best shooter, it should be #1 in your hand when/if you need it. The only reason I stopped carrying my S&W 945 is because I didn't want to wear the gorgeous finish with repeated holster draws (and in the unfortunate event I do have to use it, it's far too much of a relic to be sitting in an evidence locker somewhere). While the TRP is a little pricey, it's not irreplaceable, and the finish seems pretty damn tough. This will get mileage out of me for sure.

Mine was non rail .. kind of a snob about 1911's and rails :)
I'm normally with you on that! I hated them when they first started appearing on 1911s. I think Springfield does a nice job with them, however, and it suits this particular gun well. Colts and Kimbers? Nah.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
looking forward to your range report ... so I can live vicariously!

No longer working well paying jobs so .. I think $1300.00 guns are behind me .. still .. Maybe one will make its way back into the Boriqua house!! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start a GoFundMe ! :LOL: I nabbed this one for about $1130 which was hard to pass up. Then "clicked" the trigger on a S&W 645 just days later. I plan an epic photo celebration when I get that one in my paws...

I tried to hit the range today, but got there to find a big "CLOSED" sign on the pistol bay. :cautious: Won't be able to shoot this badboy until after May 4th unless I head up to my brother's house.

Oh, and I've named it "Rippy" for its sawblade checkering. Seriously, Springfield needs to add a warning billboard on the grip that reads in big letters: "RIP ZONE"

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
looking forward to your range report ... so I can live vicariously!

No longer working well paying jobs so .. I think $1300.00 guns are behind me .. still .. Maybe one will make its way back into the Boriqua house!! :)
You have stimulus check that should cover it!

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
The girlfriend doesn't like it, but I kinda love it. Maybe I'm a masochist.
No, you just described the PERFECT handgun. Congratulations.

One warning... If you really like the TRP, don't ever pick up one of the Dan Wesson M1911a1 pistols... It will start getting satisfying, but expensive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have SA TRP Operators in 10mm and .45 ACP. Love them except for the rails. I had to buy a new holster to carry them.
I was this close to buying the 6" 10mm model. There's one at each of the two major shops I frequent, and I've handled both so much over the past two years that they might consider them used (though I didn't dry-fire them 15 times like I saw one salesman do before putting it back in the case... cringe). I still may get one someday though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got some parts in and spruced this bad boy up. Dawson Precision tool-less guide rod was a must-have (no more paperclip for disassembly). Threw on a stainless extended slide release and ambi-safety for some nice accenting (both Wilson Combat). The slide release was a little more matte than the safety, so I polished that up to match. The safety was more "gunsmithing" than I've ever really done before, but it was easy peasy. It was a great looking gun to start, but now it has that extra something...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts