Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several of my neighbors and I started burning pastures last week. Weather has cooperated and we hope to wrap things up by the first of next week.
We had 3 days of perfect conditions in which we combined burn plans with 3 other ranches and were able to get over 40,000 acres burnt. Using 3 different crews and starting on opposite ends it sure made it easier than doing individual pastures. Thought I’d share a few pictures of the work. All of the trucks you see are military surplus vehicles that we get through a Forestry Department program. When we receive they are the typical stock military vehicles. We strip them down and build our own brush trucks. Front mounted nozzles that are controlled from inside the cab by air actuators, removing the plastic air lines and replacing them with steel, extra skid plates and bumpers are just some of the modifications we make and build for these trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lots of hours and pride put in building these trucks. This what happens when the micro lock brake doesn’t get set while parked on a hill. You can see one tank laying in the creek bed, the other is about 10;yards past it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,311 Posts
For so long, we didn't seem to understand or accept the need for controlled burns. You and neighbors have teamed up in an amazing way. Sorry to see the loss of the truck.

Our own forest services here have only been doing controlled underbrush burns of our pine forests for a few years.

·
Registered
17,977 Posts
Where I live the quail plantations have been doing their brush burning/controlled fires amongst the tall pines so we get a weather alert about unhealthy air for a few days. But things green up real fast shortly afterwards

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The red and yellow camo job caught my eye.

·
Super Moderator
34,033 Posts
Those are great pictures and show a lot of effort and hard work on the burns!

Reactions: murphyranch
1 - 7 of 7 Posts