Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is (or at least was about a month ago) a guy on GunBreaker selling a nickel 28 for $3499!! :shock: He even said in his ad words to the effect of: "don;t email me debating about the originality of this gun"...and it obviously AINT an original!! These dudes may get lucky and sell one of these "rare 28 nickels" to some novice. :|

·
Registered
182 Posts
Reminds me of a Shotgun News ad a few decades ago where someone was trying to sell Billy the Kid's 1898 Colt. Back then, the asking price was $20K

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I love how you can see the old blueing right through the paint in places and how they even painted over the hammer and trigger.The thick globbed on varnish on the grips is a thing of beauty also.Looks like one of those Earl Shribe 100 dollar auto paint jobs.

·
Administrator
8,113 Posts
Is that paint, or has it been bead-blasted? Kinda hard to tell..

Either way, I can't believe this guy's trying to pull this!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Let's see...
My wife wants a doorstop for the porch screen-door...
:lol:
Don

·
Registered
182 Posts
parson45 said:
Reminds me of a Shotgun News ad a few decades ago where someone was trying to sell Billy the Kid's 1898 Colt. Back then, the asking price was $20K
I should have added -- for the non-historical, the Kid died in 1881.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Parson, that reminds me of the Ebay listing years ago, for a bible signed by Jesus himself!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I like how the "factory" nickel finish covers the extractor star as well. :lol:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I am just crazy about the ad's that include in the description and price "just like new".....(except for a chip out of the left grip panel, or small spot of bluing missing on the cylinder, or a scratch on the side plate, and a small amount of pitting along the barrel.) "Don't miss out on this one!"
Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
He said the grips have been refinished at some time yea probably when the gun was refinished. Frank fognbov fognbov

G

·
0 Posts
I remember talking to a friend that sold the real deal, about 2 years ago. At that time he was paid over $3500 for his....

The best example of one that I've seen is one that Doc44 once owned...

If you read this thread Bill, please post some pics of my favorite gun :)

giz

·
Registered
27 Posts
You shoulda seen the first time he posted it-was starting at $3,450 and ha had made some snide comments regarding the forums, like "I've given you all the information you need on this-it is rare and original no matter what the experts on the gunboards say". He also said that he would accept returns at the buyer's cost-his ffl cost and the gunbroker fee-This new auction post is rather tame in comparison.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nickle M28

There sure are a FEW factory nickle M28s... but VERY few... and that one sure isn't one of them... Years ago I knew a Florida State trooper who was issued a nickle M28... Later I think he had a chance to buy it when they replaced them... Wonder if he still has it... I'll bet he would REALLY be happier with a lighter gun in stainless like the M65... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You would think he would at least be sure the ejector star and the trigger and hammer were either blurred out or something...

Oh well... as P.T. Barnum said... "There's one born every minute...." :cool: SIGH!!!!

V/r

Chuck

G

·
0 Posts
What do you guys suppose, if a legit factory nickel ever showed up ~ ANIB... :eek:

I'm guessin' in the 5 to 10 K range...easy.

giz

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
Yeah, but..............Drew would never sell!!!! jagap[a kihfL Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you use the Firefox browser, you can get an add-in that lets you zoom in on images. With that, you can really see the flaws it. The back strap looks to have been sanded down and the right grip is missing some wood at the top of the backstrap.

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
The only thing missing from it to make it the perfect factory original satin nickel 28-2 are the original "coke bottle" grips that came with them along with the Performance Center aluminum case... :roll: :lol:

The finish on that gun actually looks identical to a M29-2 that I foolishly sent back to Mag-na-port in 1975, shortly after I bought it, to get their "metalife" satin hard chrome finish applied to make it look like a stainless steel gun.

These guys Mahovsky's Metalife are now exclusively doing the same finish, if you click on that hyperlink, you can look at the pics and see the similarity.

Luckily for me Mahovsky's can also strip the Metalife finish, so my 29-2 is now back to wearing it's S&W blue after I sent it back to S&W for rehab when Mahovsky's was done taking the Metalife off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts